Dual Lock Removal

lkb

• Baller

Is mineral spirits the best thing to remove the gray foam backed 250? I could have sworn I saw a 3M product specifically for removing the stuff but I can't find it now. Has anybody seen that or did I dream it?

Is anybody running less than the factory amount of velcro on double powershells? I just started using them 2 weeks ago and have taken three hard falls w/o a release. On each of those falls I pretty sure my fogman would have released. I don't want to prerelease but I'm considering cutting back on the amount of velcro to just the strip down each side of the plate. And maybe not even let those strips go all the way back to the end of the plate.

Thanks-lkb

There are several 3M adhesive removal products out there, but the one Goode reccomends is citrus based.  I've never used it, so I can't comment on how well it works.

I've always used the Schnitz method with mineral spirits:

"This applies to the black foam backed Dual Lock only!

Pull the Dual Lock off the ski.

Saturate the foam that's still attached to the ski with Mineral Spirits.

Put the ski in the shade and walk away for 40 minutes.

The foam should now lift right off. Grab one end and lift.

Clean the top with Mineral Spirits.

Done!

If your ski is a Goode, do not get any Mineral Spirits on the sides or bottom of the ski as it will remove the paint. The Mineral Spirits will not affect the top of any skis. It will only affect painted surfaces."

"Is anybody running less than the factory amount of velcro on double powershells? I just started using them 2 weeks ago and have taken three hard falls w/o a release. "

I run a lot more than factory and do not want mine to release unless I OTF.  I've have several hard falls and have not felt any discomfort in the knee or ankle area.  I run two 1" strips down each edge for the front foot, full width front for the first five inches, then full width 6" in the tail.

• Baller
Chuck, based on the crashes I took I don't think mine would release when I go OTF. That's what has me thinking about reducing the amt of velcro. The force from an OTF would pull the plate from the back ankle. There is a lot of sq inches of velcro aft of that "pulling point" too which seems like it would make it even harder to start a release. Not sure but those are just the thoughts and concerns of somebody who has busted an ankle once before.

• Baller

My has released only once this year when I hit the buoy @ 38 and the ski caught.  Otherwise, I've taken less severe falls w/o release.  More importantly, no pre-release (yet).

I put 250 clear on the ski at the locations that match the factory plate.  On the plate, I run a strip of 400 down the outside edge.  On the inside of that, I run 250.  I run two strips of 400 and one of 250 at the front and mid and all 250 at the back (again, factory locations).  Most pre-releases will be from the front to mid of the ski while it is flexing.  The OTF issue is taken care of my not overloading the rear w/ 400.  Replace twice a year or after 10 releases / removals.