Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

ski chatter

skispray

• Baller
Hey I'm wondering about ski chatter and if it's more a setup problem or a skiing problem.  With most other things I'm assuming it's a bit of both, but here's what's happening with me: I started skiing a couple weeks ago after about a month long hiatus and the ski was chattering really bad in the turns.  I checked the fin measurements and they were off a bit so I fixed that and most of the chatter went away.  However, on my more difficult passes the ski still tends to chatter a little.  From what I remember, ski chatter is generally from pushing to hard on the ski in the turns right?  If that's the case then I can just work on that but since the adjustment to the fin I made earlier reduced the chatter so much I'm wondering if there are specific fin adjustments that tend to reduce this and what they are.  If there are, what else do they effect while skiing?  For example, if decreasing depth reduces chatter what trade off must I make with that change?  Thanks.

skispray-

i have had the same issues in the past.  i thought it was ski set up and i'm not saying that it isn't for you...however..

when i went to Rini's school in florida last year he smoothed it out with no fin adjustment.  basically...if the ski coming in to the turn flat and you have no arc or preturn developed you have to make pretty big moves to make it finish where you want the ski to finish...so for me...through the edge  change ...getting my hips more toward the inside of the turn while still rotating upper body out made a longer, smoother turn that resulted in more of a carve and a zig zag chatter fest.  if you are "pushing" as you say on the ski...it's because you are telling the ski you want it to turn NOW...no need to push on the ski if you have set up the turn right.  just stand tall and let your hips fall forward and inside.

j

• Baller
Jwakes, thanks for the tips.  I have generally only noticed the chatter when I either pull too long or am not running a pass smoothly, so it makes sense that it's perhaps because the ski hasn't cast out properly.  I'm just going to work on technique and staying consistent, thanks again.