Radar RS1

I sold my A1 last week and while waiting for my Elite to show up I am skiing on a Black Nats RS1 67 inch.

I cant believe that more people out there are not liking this ski. It is great. My 2-4 on side is back. The ski moves without stopping. I took 3 sets on it and by the 3rd set, I was almost running 38 on the thing.

I was a bit shallower and shorter then stock and the ski has great control. Sports car handling in a Caddy like ski.     

• Baller
I agree, MS. The RS1 carries more speed from the apex to the hookup than any other ski I've been on.  I'm hearing rumors that they're working on a new bevel profile for it that improves the turns even more while still carrying the speed, too.  That said, I've got an Elite sitting here that I'm dying to try this week. Damn box is even top notch!

Scot,

I was on the white for a month and had a love hate relationship. I actually put up my practice PB with it.

I sent it back for a stiffer ski and only took 4 rides on the new black that was sent. I was trying the A1 at the same time and made the decision to go to that A1. By late fall the A1 had the goo comming out of the bottom and TRS sent me a new A1. I never got the same feeling with the new A1 and was ready to sell everything and take up fishing until I rode the RS1 again. I am back. I think that the A1 had me working so hard to ski and when I got back on the RS1, it felt really easy to ski. I could do 4 sets and still have energy to ski another. I hope the Elite lights me up even better but until I know, I am sleeping with the RS1. My elbow pain is even going away.      

• Baller
The two RS1's I have had required the least effort to go side to side of any ski I've ridden. Behind the boat, you think Damn, this things a rocket. My ski partner rides a Goode 9900 and he ran 38 on his 2nd set on the RS1. And that was on my 67" ski when he normally rides a 65.5(he's 155lbs soaking wet). For him at the time, he thought the RS1 carried too much speed off the ball and he was having a harder time adjusting to that coming off the Goode which slow'd down considerably more. Now he wants back on an RS1 or to try my Elite because he thinks the Goode isn't carrying enough speed for him at 34.

• Baller

Glad you are skiing well Mark. Darwin is talking about having a fall tourney. You need to come down for it.

I agree with you guys about the cross course speed/angle of the RS-1. I rode one for a couple of weeks last summer and it got you wide and early. Only problem was what felt like a soft tip that I stuffed on toe side consistantly. A stiffer one would likely have been sweet.

I also agree about the A1 being very hard on the body. I rode one this spring and it killed my back. I think there is something about the skis flat attitude in the water combined with that width that make it very hard to keep on edge effectively.

sj

PJ,

I am not as bad as the La. test team. They need to get a seat on the Exchange. We only got 1 set in last night before it started to rain. Phil went from glass to whitecaps in 3 passes. What little hair he has was standing straight up with a lightning flash, so we quit.

I dont know alot about rocker, but someone alot smarter then me said that the design on the A1 is not suited for cold water due to the rocker.

Scot,

I am comming to the 6 rounds in Sep and may do another week long tour that ends up over at Ski Watch the next weekend.  We will get back up to Minn and will have ice after that, so that will be it for the summer.  

• Baller
Thanks, but I was just kidding.  I would be too afraid I would ding it or something.  I will probably just buy a used one after nationals. 

• Baller

Theres a lot to be said for having the right skier style on the right ski. Yesterday morning once again ad nauseum MS ran into 39 in  a very strong quartering head/tail on his RS-1. 38off seems to be just childs play now for this happy smiliing guy with a home haircut. Dog shears??? Making an occasional mistake doesn't even blow the run for him. On the A-1 we had to force feed anti-depressants. What the hell do you give a guy with the happies??? Exlax?? Asked for my RS-1 back and was banned from the boat!!!

• Baller

Guys who have ridden the RS-1,

Spurred on by the good deals on MPDs out there, this past weekend I demoed an RS-1 since I couldn't find an MPD to try.  I've got a couple of questions, though.  At 5'9", 180, M4, 28-38 off, 34mph, should I be looking at the 67 or 68"?  I demoed a white 67" RS-1, and loved the cross course speed and angle of the ski.  It turns pretty good as well!  Every now and then it would snap too hard on the turns (on side) or, wheelie (off side), and overall it just feels small.  It did feel better at 32 and 35 than 28 if that helps.  Stock fin settings from proskicoach.com, front boot (animals) at 29.25", which was one hole back of center.  I felt similar things with the RS-1 boots as well. 

Second question, what does the MPD do differently than the RS-1?  Is the RS-1 worth double the price?

Last, I took a number of sets on the RS-1 boots.  Loved the comfort of them.  Easy to mount, and I didn't notice a huge transition from my Animals.  The lateral control I felt was maybe a little more than Animals, but not too much.  I found the amount my rear foot moved in the boot very distracting, and had it come up significantly in the turn a few times.  Ulimately I decided to not go with the RS-1s because I just couldn't get them to be consistent.  I had to loosen the bungees to get the liners back in, and then I must not have got them the same level of tightness.  So, the boots seemed to feel different each set, and sometimes even in between passes.  Not sure why, but it's more variables than I want to deal with.   Didn't have the opportunity to test the release function :-).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on the RS-1 or MPD skis!

• Baller

John.

I have a bud in WPB looking to sell his white 67" RS-1, let me know and I will find out what he wants for it. Am told the MPD is different, more of an Andy Mapple design ski that seeks angle with average speed . RS-1 more like a HO Monza and very fast. RS-1 has a small sweet spot. Not a problem if you are a quiet centered skier.  I had consistancy problems with my RS-1 boots until I quir tightening them down and left just snug.