Need help! Offside is killing me

KG

I am a pretty new slalom skier and having problems getting good angle on my offside (RFF, 1-3-5 ball). I wonder if anyone can offer some advice for things to focus on. It seems like I am either stuffing the tip and then I break at the waist, or I don't get enough angle. I am skiing at 34 mph 15 off right now. I doubt it matters much but I am on a 2006 D3 Nomad (white top) with double D3 high wraps. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Along those lines:

Because the offside turn feels more uncomfortable than the onside turn, I will somtimes rush back to the handle. What has been true for me is that the turn stops the moment your second hand comes onto the handle. If you are turning your shoulders to reach for the handle, don't do it, period! This will stop the ski and break you in both senses of the word. If you are more or less skiing back to the handle, I would encourage you to be fractionally more patient and that should allow your ski to come around a little bit farther.

Video, if you have it, is always helpful.

Thanks guys, I think you are right about reaching for the handle. Next time out I will really try to be patient getting on the handle. I will let you know if there is any improvement.

KG

Most things happen for a reason, usually it's not where you think, it's the precceding move that's the problem. Try looking at what you are doing on your goodside first. Chances are you can smoke the turn, blast away from the buoy and enjoy the ride!!

So with speed, possibly too much angle too soon, and holding on too long you approach fast, flat and going downcourse. So on your most difficult turn you have a dilema, stamp on the front to slowdown! Break at waste turn, or, roll backwards and anticipate the  snap from the slack. You will not get angle from either!!

Try to pick the boat late on the goodside, just hold good body position, edge change earlier and generate yourself some space on the offside. This should allow you the time to make the turn without the above issues.

I have wrecked so many PB passes because I can tear it up off the goodside and then just given myself a whole load trouble on my weaker side.

Roberto

Roberto, that is me 4 sure. I have so much time at 1 ball it is crazy, and I end up headed down course flat before I start my turn. I am headed out tomorrow so this is great to have some things to try. Thanks!

Thanks for the pointers, I just got back from the lake and my offside was much better. More angle and better position for a strong pull. No PB's but there was a very strong head / tail wind. I will keep working on these things and let you know, but I could feel a difference today!

Thanks!

• Baller

One thing that always helps me is to take your right hand at one ball and put it back on your outside right hip after releasing the handle. This helps keep you chest up going into the turn and then I come around the ball and ski my hip / hand to the handle, not reaching across my body.

As soon as you reach with your chest down the ski will simply not finish.

Another thing is to make sure you are not on a flat ski going into one balll. Edge hard behind the boat and make a definite edge change going into one ball with your chest up.

Master this and you will be skiing into 28 off the same day!

• Baller

Yes but those things work on either.

When I remember to counter rotate on my onside it is so much better. When I don't it is usually due to a lousy offside pull so I have to rush a turn.