Hardshell entry questions

I just got a pair of FM E series hard shells.  This is my first foray into hardshell bindings.  I got them at Seth's reccomendation for being safe as my ankles are toast.  I'm struggling with getting them on and off in a timely basis, however.  I've tried keeping the liners on my feet.  With a shoe horn, that works okay.  But then I have to line up the screw slots and tighten the thumb screws.  That's a bit of a pain.  My latest attempt is to lube the top of my foot to help it slide in, and still use the shoe horn for my heel while spreading the liner wide.  Does anyone have a better suggestion, or are my expectations simply out of line?  I'd love to ditch the shoe horn.

I should note that my skiing has improved by being more connected to the ski.  I'm not in any way disappointed with the performance.  Plus, they seem to release when they should without contorting my foot.  No sprains yet this year (knock on wood)!

thanks much!

• Baller
They can be a little hard to get on as your heal sticks to the liner.  Here is what I do:  Jam the front of your foot into the laces as much as you can to get your foot as forward as possible.  This allows enough room to bring the heal down but its still snug.  Leave the cuffs on and the liners in the boot.  Step into the boot with your bare foot.  You shouldn't have to mess with the thumb screws at all unless you come out obviously.  Hope it helps.

You could try putting your foot into a plastic bag. This worked great when I was younger and had trouble getting wetsuits on.

If you going to try that, don't forget to cut the bottom out. Slit the bag down the side, close it with masking tape, you should

be able to reuse that if it works for you.

use a wetsuit lube or seal saver on the liners. any silicone works - I ran out and now just squirt some armour all into my liners every now and then. so use silicone. 

open the laces as much as possible. move the cuff back, like boody says jam your toes in as far as possible, gently slide the heel into the liner using the handle. I can zip into my boots in seconds, all done up in a minute or two. 

when they break in the fit is amazing. 

My brother has the E series and he just puts the liner on his foot and then puts the foot and liner in the boot. He leaves the cuff on the boot and he doesn't have any issues. I have the older FM binding on my trick ski and I put the liner on my foot and put it in. I have to make sure that I get the heel of the liner lined up properly with the two tabs in the back, once I have that I just shove it in. Many other hardshell owners I see leave the liner in their boot and they wear an old dress sock or similar which allows them to easily slide into the liner whether it is wet or not. You can go the sock route, but I think that after some time you will find that they are pretty easy to get into once you get used to them.

I was concerned about the wear on the heel of the liners by doing as lagdawg first suggests.  That's why I went with the shoe horn.  The jager site suggests using the silcone as shark suggests.  I am not familiar with that, and assumed (incorrectly) it would be little different from lube.

thank you all for the tips!  Much appreciated.  I'm going to try a few of them out.

• Baller

I have been using Reflex with Intuition custom  liners for a few years.

I used a real thin stocking when I did the custom fiting and have continued using

the stocking..... Foot goes in just like in alpine skiing, even when wet.