In need of bindings

Tuney

First of all cheers for all the tips in regards to finding a new ski.

Now I'll need to find a way to keep my feet on the ski. :) I am looking for a left foot forward binding and RTP for the Radar/HO/Obrien hole pattern. I wear a size 8-9 shoe. I am looking for something that is easy to get into and comfortable but proper support to ski hard is necessary also. Preferably something that comes out in a crash but again not a requirement. I don't want to have to guess my binding size so something that fits a small range of foot sizes would be nice.

I'd like to be able to adjust the bindings forward and backward on the ski, does that mean I need a plate? I don't really know what the plates are for so if someone can fill me in there that'd be appreciated.

I've been looking into old school looking wileys, radar rails's, HO Amimal and the Obrien Bio... I have no idea which is the best RTP... I'd do more research but the season is winding down and I still want to get on the ski this year so if you could help me narrow it down to a couple options and feed me some pros/cons I'd buy you a drink when we ran into each other on the waterCool.

Cheers,

Mike.

I love my Animals and if your looking for typical rubber binging I dont think you can do better. The radars are very different, some people love them, some people dont. If you dont have an opportunity to test them first I would go with Animal front and HO RTP. If your shoes size is US then you want the small size, if UK then medium

I am actually leaning towards the Wileys. I have read great things about them and they look to be pretty well the same thing that I have on my current ski from the 70's - I just wasn't sure if I should take a step up with technology or stick to old rubber faithful. The animals look good too, like you guys have mentioned they are made to be comfortable but I've also heard they aren't very durable.

Maybe I'll even buy a rear boot and try the dual boot setup. I have some trouble keeping my rear heel strait so that might help.

• Baller

I'm in my 6th summer with my animals and they are still in near perfect condition. I've never had any issues with them. I switched from the HO venom boots which at the time I felt were a little too soft.

My animals are very comfortable and I'm now looking at changing to a new ski but will probably hang on to my boots, as they have given me nothing to complain about.

A friend of mine has a connelly ski with stoker wrap bindings (I've never ridden the wileys), and I found them to be a little less stiff laterally. I like the snug feeling I get from my animals, but in a hard crash I still come out of them (which is good, I did this just the other day and wasn't injured at all)

I've ditched the RTP idea and decided to go with double boots. I just want to be a little more locked in.  

I've sent email in regards to both the wileys and the animals. LiquidEdge wont ship to me in Canada but I've found another place with a comparable price we'll see what they say when they get back to me. I am still 50/50 in regards to these two for rubber bindings.

I am actually kind of interested in trying something new though. The FM's look sweet but I don't really want to shell out that much on boots. A local shop says they might be able to get me a good deal on some Radars as their distributor is clearing them out. An RS-1 combo seems to be a good buy. My biggest concern with these is how easy they are to put on though... I wipe out enough that I don't want to be messing with the boots in the water. :) I am also a little leary with sizing on the RS-1's size I am an 8US  wide so the question is if the 9's would be too big and the 8's too small... or even if the 9's will fit.

• Administrators

From what you have said it sounds like you are not skiing tournaments. If so  . . . just go get the Wiley’s. They are safe and comfortable. Until you are running 32 off they offer more then enough support. My only issue with Wiley’s is that they do not always mount in the right place on the ski.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Yeah Horton, I don't ski tournaments. I am currently talking with the sask. resource management to see if they'll let us stick buoys in the lake though. I've narrowed my choices down to the Wileys and the Radar bindings. I think the price will be comparable for both set ups. I think the Radar Source binding in the rear would be really nice because I'd have a lot of mobility like a RTP but my foot would stay in position and it would be comfortable. On the otherhand I've been riding a closed toe none adjustable front binding like a Wiley all my life and I've had neither comfort or support issues.  

I guess I should get a plate to adjust the bindings if the Wileys don't mount well all the time.

• Baller

Tuney,

Tell Wiley's what you are mounting to and where you want their bindings located. It's much easier to have them modify than it is for you to hack them once you get them. They may need you to make a hole template of your ski with a measurement to relate it to the tail.

Deke

I talked to Darren Wiley and he was very helpful. He told me that I would definitely need lube to get into his bindings and that is not something I want to be doing. So now I am leaning towards the RS-1 bindings. Still concerned about sizing so I will make some calls tomorrow.

Definitely sold the yard yesterday. Broke at the ball, decided to go for it and broke even further at the wakes. Somewhere the ripcord pulled, and the RS-1s did not object to my rapid egress. Would have been fine on my WIley's. I'm not sure what would have happened if I was still on Drafts, or in the interest of fairness, Approaches. 

Now that I have a solid crash under my shoes, my take on the RS-1's is that they are just simple enough to work like you think they should, but just complicated enough to be made to surprise you when they don't let go when they probably should. Can't commend on donning the boots in water though.

Ricky and Steven the 1st. A boys 1 skiers asked me what RS-1 stood for and that was the first thing to come to mind. From that point on I've talked about the binders as though they were alive: just being goofy.

Did release.

Very smooth. Not tugging. The only surprise was the 10 yard swim to retrieve one liner that had flipped off in mid-tumble.

I've had two falls like this in the last two years: where the ski stops and I don't. This time was in RS-1's the previous was in Wiley's. The release felt about the same, although I would guess that there was a little less pressure on my ankles in the RS-1's. It must be noted that RS-1's can be run tight enough that they will not release quite as free and easy as my expereince. There is a skier I see at tournaments that has release three or four times, but each time it was his foot slipping out of the liner, not the liner coming out of the shell. I would freely reccomed both Wiley's and RS-1's. The RS-1's have an added measure of edge control that I welcome. Although about once ever three sets the ski will bite on me in a way that is directly attributable to the RS-1's: it's all part of the transition and would be more pronounced had I chosen Fogmans Reflex. If they were stollen, I would probably choose the RS-1's again.

Ok, I have basically decided to go with the RS-1's. I am just unsure about size.

I almost always wear a US size 8 length shoe but my foot is pretty wide which pushes me to an 8.5 quite often if an 8 Wide is unavailable. I am a little concerned the boot will be too tight if I go with an 8. But I am also worried if I go with a 9 I'll need to cinch my laces down too much for my foot to eject properly or they will just feel loose. Keep in mind I have never tried either size on.

Do people go a size up without problem in the RS-1's?  Do the boots fit smaller or larger than the average shoe? How is the width? Will molding the liner make wearing a 9 fit nice and snug? WIll molding an 8 make room for a wide foot? I understand from Square One that the boots might fit small  but the fellow I talked too didn't seem too sure.

• Baller
I wear 9.5 shoes which I like roomy, not tight. Size 9 RS-1's with green Superfeet inside the liner, which is just right for me. Thought for sure I had gone too small when trying them on at home. Knew they were right after first set.

Ok, I went with the size 9's. I haven't been able to try them on the ski yet but from sliding one on dry I can tell you that sizing up is definitely the way to go for a wider foot. I'd also like to note that they it fit really well length wise as well (going from an 8 wide), I don't expect to need to use an insole either. Just going off of the dry fit on this boot I think the 8's would have been too small. If I can get them on the ski before the year is up I'll let you know how they are wet.