Scoke, hows the Elite?

bhs

• Administrators

Ok enough silliness my settings are 6.837 /.784 /2.505 (Tips - Slot Caliper) front binding 29 3/8ish

Skiing the best of my life at the moment even though I am not getting very many sets in. The ski is the best thing I have ever ridden - setting are super extra critical.

• Baller
Just for kicks try the settings w deeper fin (just for kicks) go 2.508-09.  I didn't like 2.510 as much as 2.511-12.  came under me bit to quick.  But on the other hand if it is working may not want to change anything but your national affiliation, I hear Southern Canada (minnesota) needs a few warm bodies.

• Baller

Skiing is fun again! Took nearly 4 weeks of monkeying around with the setup, rather than detail the whole saga, I would say that for some a lot of tweaking maybe required to get the ski right for any one individual. Initially, at stock settings, the ski just overturned. Tried the fin all over the place for the next two weeks, but never felt “freeâ€Â. After talking with Mark Needham tried .795 DFT, 6.845 tip, 2.512 depth, 7w, it was much better, but offside too harsh, backed tip up to 6.835, depth 2.509, it made a HUGE difference. The ski is now fast, fluid, and width feels easy, even with headwinds. The most significant change yielding the best resultant “feel†seems to be due to increasing the DFT (for me), never have run the fin this far forward and always felt back was better, but kicking myself for not trying this far forward 3 weeks ago.

At present, dbl Approach 29.375/17, .795/6.835/2.509/W7 is a good place to leave things and learn more about all that this ski can do.

I feel this ski is very sensitive to setup and may require a bit of tuning effort to make it copacetic for some its riders.

• Baller

29 9/16

2.510, 6.837, 0.777, 8 deg.

This is what works for me. I moved the bindings back, then tried longer, shallower, and farther forward. None of it felt good. Went back to these numbers and it felt great. The ski is very sensitive to set up. All of the moves I mentioned were less than 8/1000's and the binding move was 1/8".  Whatever works for you of course, but I got lost for awhile with the binding move.

sj

• Administrators

Samrt,

30" sounds too far back for the 68".  I think most of us are within 1/4 of stock.

Adam,

You need to look hard a Dawgs #s. Can you advise Smart on binding settings for the 68"?

• Baller

Got back yesterday afternoon.

Met some great Ohio-Penn-New York State skiers at Daves Pond Tourney. Very good peoples, skiers and a few lurkers here too! I also tricked for the first time ever in a tournament....

Monday finished up set #11 & #12 on the Elite; i've got about 2 pages hand written that i need to get typed up and edited to post.

Finally figured out my gate pullout and gate turn in on this ski. This week will be focusing on some edge changing and just "riding" the ski in the turns. Actually this weekend i did well in practice "riding" the ski through the turns. Edge changes were about 1.5 ski length long.

And yes i wore my fleece speedo for 6 days straight. Weather was beautiful up there, to visit.

dsmart - im also on a 68, and was running it at around 30"

stock says 30" but it bites to hard on both sides....(what i found)

i moved it back 1 hole and its a whole lot easier!!!! i found i ran the fin really far forward probably to counter the bindings being forward.

i can run better numbers with my bingings 1 back, feel "free" and casts out better, alot less aggressive but still as responsive.

i now feel i need to move the fin back a touch...

grrr back to the drawing board!

• Baller

Funny you should bring that up, but I got talked into using some Lucas bright shine stuff on the BOTTOM of my Elite this past weekend! I thought the guy was crazy at first, but I had my best score of the year. (I don't think it was because of the shine though)

• Baller
Interesting, Scot. I wax the top of mine, otherwise it shows waterspots from our dirty ass water. Jodi Fisher actually commented on my Elite when he saw it for the first time a while back. Said it was interesting that the bottom was as smooth as it was. He said they did the fisher skis with a microtexture built into the mold bottom(they media blasted it apparently) to break the water's surface tension and promote less drag.

• Baller
I moved the front binding back one D3 hole. My rear foot toe is hitting the back of my front binding. Very annoying. I can't move the rear back further, no more metal. The ski felt faster/more free on pullout for the gates/glide. It was faster or less effort accross the wakes. The off side turn felt like it occassionally caught or stopped for a second at the end of the turn. This was the opposite of what I expected. It felt better as the line got shorter. I am not sure yet. I will take a couple more rides tomorrow.

im stuck between the two places,, i think the issue is that my bindings are on a plate, they either both move back or both move forward.

I cant move them independently (without re drilling and allot of fuss). I have an inch between toe and heal so moving it back is putting my back foot real far back.

Further back the ski casts out better but I don’t have the angle…I certainly notice the angle at 30â€Â

I think dsmart your right the shorter it goes the better it feels around the 29.5. – I think this maybe the place to be for next season when hitting the real short stuff. I think the ski bite is comming from the quick deceleration and if your not soft on your knees you tend to place more weight on your front foot - this is what i found.

but at the end of the turn? dunno why, i did find that but have worked around it,,, did shallow the fin up and had it on 7dg turns are silky but got no angle or speed.. so went half way.

But I have fiddled about so much I just need to leave it for a bit.

My season is coming to a close, no point messing around until next year…