Scoke, hows the Elite?

bhs

• Baller

I was trying/thinking of hitting up cottonwood or O.O. this weekend but it might not be in the cards.

If you are up for packing the suburban with the clan, their skis too, we can adjust the trim tab on the Nauti's rudder and ski ZO either saturday or sunday. Ricks girls would love to hangout/play with the Jones clan.

Or i could come over there.

• Baller

I rode a slalom trick for a full 4 passes for the first time ever. I can't figure out if i am sore as a SOG from tricking or this ski.

Might have even done a side slide or two. I am tricking in a tourney in sept (allegedly) so i've gotta get my trick down.

• Baller

is there a website for trickers?

if i do a sideslide going down the lake, get my points, can i do the same trick coming back on my toe pass??

The Elite: I can't figure out if you have to be in shape to ride this ski and it'll work you over?

• Baller

scoke,

remember that the ski likes less skier input (unlike that old black and orange very small ski you were on).  And remember to check the fin often, it will slide in that new fin block-long fin takes much more effort to ski.

• Baller

two sets scheduled tonight: less added input and more input in the right locations....

So no other fin block out there matches up with the holes in the Elite? It's really not a matter of set screws but a matter of the Elite's fin block not having enough grip on the fin. one minor turn of the screw and the whole fin can drop out of the ski. Even a fin block like Goodes (newer version), without the set screws would be ideal.

• Baller

Of course the fin can't drop out of the ski but the fin can drop out of any semblance of it's settings  or off the chart settings. Meaning, you're trying to make fin tune adjustments, 1/4 turn of wrench on a course adjustment screw, one bump and the fin moves 0.5 inches in three directions when you are looking for a .005 move in 1 direction. Not a happy medium in between is the point.

Goodes block, takes quite a bit to make course adjustments.

• Baller
After 6 weeks on the elite, I don't have a problem one with the fin box. No harder to adjust than any other fin box on any other ski and it hasn't moved once. I do keep it on it's side, though. It is definitely a ski that likes you to ride it, not force it. 

I skied on the Elite and an A1 back to back the other day. I found it difficult to keep the tip down on the Elite and it didn't want to turn. It was however really fast cross-course. I found the A1 to be a much better turning ski.

• Baller

Took two more sets with the Elite last night: sick.

Originally i was getting some wicked tip rise, my fin was way too long as well as my measuring method needed adjustment.

I started my write-up early this morning. Not sure how long i am going to wait until i post it.

• Baller

Scoke. You actually inspired me to pull the trick out. I have been waiting on a fin and just driving the boat this week. After seeing your post I chased the spiders out of my crusty old HO binding and rode the trick last night.

To the best of my recollection it has been 2-3 years since I was on it. I ran a pass down (I am a slalom skier after all) and did a few tricks on the way back. Should have gone in at that point but didn't. Crap trick falls sting! I think I would rather eat it at 39.

sj 

• Baller

I'll do a review in that format when i've got my prescribed number of sets under foot as well as my own 5 page review finished. it's only a page and a half now.

me putting my write up into the internet format, it will be like you stuffing your hair into a beanie.

http://www.hairfairyclips.com.au/files/skye_left_pink_beanie_325.jpg

• Baller

2 more sets last night, cloer to the review. I plan on doing some writing today and this weekend.

Length at 6.833. the Elite/Fin guru suggest i bump up to 6.837 as my 1-3-5 have been decent while i've had some very nice center of mass keep moving through the turn 2-4's.

Granted this is all at 32 but once i get fin setup, get used to the timing on this ski with having to change edges even early, 32-35 same pass.

• Baller

DFT/Depth?

Been all over with fin, for me, seems depth best at 2.510 - 2.515 (2.512), DFT ~.785, tip currently at 6.820, seemingly short but at this point can't seem to negatively impact offside (LFF 29.375/17) and would still prefer less hesitation at 1B (go shorter, less depth?).

Has potential to be best ride I've been on but steep learning curve thus far.

• Baller

6'3.5" ~195lbs, RFF, Powershell 5/4 mounted at 29.5", 36mph testing at 32's with goal of rolling back through 35's and onto 38, DFT: 0.784, Depth: 2.5095. Going to convert length from 6.833 ot 6.837 per SkiDawgs direction.

I actually was longer originally (poor measuring) and was further forward, not ideal.

These numbers were derived from SkiDawgs numbers/testing. Besides the "pros" he prolly has quite a few sets on this ski. I'd highly recommend running close to what he's got in the range.

the issues we had, that's three skiers who rode it  - i believe are to do with the ski's flat spot location,  not fin or binding placement. I had my boots forward 29 3/4 or more.  I could not land the ski (or water) under my front boot pre and in the offside turn, like I wanted too. at the finish of the turn the tip  "fell" down and i took off like a rocket.

it feels like the pressure point, by moving the f/s rearward, levitates the tip of the ski. now if you are heavvier or softer water this might be masked but quite easy to see on video taken. very different ride from an A1, D3, Sixam goode etc.

you can only do so much with a fin, the ski is a big, or bigger part of the overall equation.

• Administrators

aguylikeshark said "I had my boots forward 29 3/4 or more."

Factory Spec is between 29 1/4" and 29 1/2"  - Binding placement is a gross adjustment. Most skiers are ridding the Elite just short of 29 1/2"

Any ski must be tried  bone stock for a fair assessment.

• Administrators

Ski by Andy Mapple - Fin settings by the SKIDAWG

Front Binding at (29 7/16") 6.837 -  .784  - 2.505

Dawg calls for 2.512 but I never run that deep

• Administrators

If I can get some skiing in I will try but I hate to screw with it now. I talked to Ward today and he is down to 2.510 so . . .

I saw Hanna over the weekend . . Gave him beer and made fun of him.... . he was driving for my good round. Now I have to do better so I do not have to keep him as my PB driver.

Tech Gurus,

I suspect my bindings are a little far forward, ive got a Reflex hardshell and measuring from the Tail to the back of the boot its 30â€Â

Im feeling that my offside is super aggressive, could this be a cause? May try putting them back a little..

Early season I was cutting at 34mph, now im well into the season and 36 – 28off this is where its starting to get violent…

Stock says 30†is where its suppose to be but…. I don’t know, any thoughts?