short vid

Tuney

Here is a short video of me skiing form yesterday:

If you think you can make me better by mentioning one of my many technical imperfections please point it out or just laugh and hurl insults my way. I showed  this vid to a friend of mine and he gave me shit because I was getting barely any air :).  You can also see  why I posted the thread for a new boat as that wake is big enough to launch off of and barely fast enough to get me my 36MPH. I am also skiing with my 70's Jobe.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

• Administrators

Have you thought about golf? No? Me neither. 

Ok first get a modern ski.... any modern ski. Slow the boat down to 28 or so. Get a longer clip and post here so we can really help you.

Tell your friend that you heard that he will get better air if he looks at the tip of his ski when he cuts. . . . do not try yourself.

• Baller

To start, move your position prior to the pullout from the right side of the wake to the left side of the wake at the edge of the whitewater.  That way you don't have to cross the wake on your pullout.

Second, buy a boat with a smaller wake, such as an 01 Malibu.../vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

That looks like a Jobe Honeycomb.... sweet ski.... I suggest maybe getting a new boat like a Nautique - however be sure to use the same rope attachment that you have on the current boat... with that aparatus you have no need for a ski pylon.

I played golf about an hour after that ski. I shot 103... I try not to think about it. Funny, I've actually got a Radar MPD laying right beside me, it is just waiting for boots :). I'll try and get a better clip when I ski next weekend.

Marco, will do. And thanks for the lead.  

rod, certainly is a honeycomb. My dad bought it new for $250 way back in the day and he has been skiing on it since... he hates skiing behind the Glastron too. Oh and haha. I either use that or hook the rope up to one of the hooks on the side of the boat lol.

• Baller_

I don't know what it is about lefties, but a disproportionate number tend to lock your front leg and have the rear knee side by side instead of the rear knee tucked in behind the front.  That is a bad habit that needs to be fixed.  You never want your front leg to be locked - there should always be a slight bend.  That is probably 80% of your issue and makes it nearly impossible to achieve proper body position.

Next, pull out wider on your simulated gate.  For free skiing, you should be trying to get even with the boat on both sides.  That will make progression much faster if you try the course.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Bill, the clubs stay in the garage. They already know their place :).

Bruce, thanks for the tips. I'll try and get my rear knee behind the lead knee. I've actually found somewhere  I can ride a course  so I think I will give it a go next season. What do you mean even with the boat? 

• Baller

Tuney,

After you get on a bigger ski/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif, work on getting more angle on your weak side pulls(2 ball to 3 ball).  You are standing up as you cross the wake.  You'll never get out to 3 and 5 ball in time if you don't.  I've read numerous posts here saying that the handle needs to be down at the hips when crossing the wakes.  Easier said than done but when I get it right, I really feel the difference.  Dave

Thanks Dave, I've always had a little trouble turning that way maybe the new ski/footwear will help me out a little or maybe I just need to turn at a tighter angle :). I've heard about keeping the handle lower also I'll keep that in mind when I get back on the water... I wonder if it pulling from closer to the water as it is at the back end of my boat is adding to the issues.

• Administrators
Butterfields comment covers 80% of the coaching i do - His knees are unreal bitchen bent but he is so right. My twist is that if your back leg is bent more then your front you must be on your back foot.