Need help deciding on cruise control upgrade

rq0013

• Baller
I have pp classic 6.5ng and was wondering if I should upgrade to stargazer. I use it for free skiing and skiing courses with out magnets. I find it hard to get the correct speed in the course with the classic. I do this by just watching the digital speedo and seeing if its close to the target speed(not too exacting). Should I spend the money on stargazer and would it give me more exact speeds. I ski 28',32' off at 36 mph. Thanks!

• Baller
Yes, I would upgrade.  I have Stargazer and while I complain sometimes about inconsistent #s, it is 100 times better than classic. I used classic this past weekend and it was a constant struggle to get good times.  Stargazer is better.

• Baller

HI. I have PPSG but no magnets. The kind people at Perfect Pass threw in a timing switch that sits on the dash. I press the button as the boat goes through the gate and it works perfectly like a ball #1 magnet.

Laz

• Baller_
You only need 2 magnets for SG, and the inexpensive ones from skiertoskier work fine.  If your driver is better = times better, then you'll find your results are better.  I'd upgrade if I was you.  You'll still have PP Classic under the Slalom settings screen if and when you want to use PP Classic.

I have SG and use it for free skiing because a course is not allowed in our lake.  You have to trick it into a one time baseline setting that's not hard.  I just wiggled the sensor at the start and end of the fictitious course.  The main problem I have is that it likes to try to hold the speed during the turn (as you might expect it should) so you have to disengage it.  The issue comes in when you want it to re-engage.  My version of the software won't do it.  http://perfectpass.com/technotes_3.html suggests I need a software upgrade to fix that problem.  I like it for going straight as it is one less thing for the wife to worry about when driving. 

skier to skier is where I got mine from.  They were helpful and the price was the best I could find.

• Baller
I have StarGazer's latest addition as well on my 05 Malibu lxi.  One, it gives you an option of just pushing a button to tell it to time the length of a slalom course.  This is so you can set it up and your speeds on open water with no course.  I have never used it, but it is there.  2nd, I may have missed it in the instructions when running my baselines in, but make sure you have the skier setting at, NO SKIER, to get the correct baseline so your times with be correct for the skier settings.  You have FEATHER, LIGHT, NORMAL and HEAVY.  I figured the system just assumed no skier when you went to the BASELINE SETTING mode.  Well, it does not and that is why my boat was always running a little fast coming into the couse when I was pulling a skier at the setting that matched them.  I had to run them one or two settings below what they should to get the times perfect through all segments.  I happened to be changing the skier setting to FEATHER and hit the down button one extra time and saw the NO SKIER setting.  I set baselines again and my segment times have never been off more than .01 since.       

• Baller
Stick with PP Classic and get a switch if you don't have one. You can simulate an ugly pull easily. I use KX  normal and a px of 15-20 to simulate the feel of a 196 with ZO. I too have no problem getting good times with classic. 

• Baller

PP Classic is a better pull than Stargazer. Perfect times do not make a good pull. Especially when the perfect time is made by hammering you from 5 to 6. ZO feels somewhat like PP Classic with a switch. Stargazer is in a world of its own. Save the money until Stargazer incorporates a switch or some other means of simulating ZO.

Eric

• Baller

Here's my understanding: Normal 0 ignores the switch. KX- and + add RPM when the switch engages (- and + determine the timing of the hit). PX determines how many RPM to add.

The boat responds to the switch in a manner similar to ZO's reaction to a drop in speed. Hence PP Classic is closer to ZO when the switch is used.

Stargazer seems to choose an appropriate RPM to get good times and stays close to that RPM. It reacts less to skier input and more to elapsed time. If the skier is choppy (like me) the boat seems to make up time at 5 ball. Also the boat seems to carry lots of power into the ball which causes me to get slack.

Running perfect times makes my skiing suck. I'd better get used to it though. Run hot with PP Classic and a switch and it feels like ZO.

Just my weird skiing opinion,

Eric