Whats your trick speed??

jaredH20

I was just wondering what every one else is tricking at. I understand its a personal preference, and every one is different though i notice that the videos i watch on you tube the guys seem to be going much faster.

I am currently skiing behind a 206 at 28km/h. I weigh 65kgs. Should i be going faster? Will i be able to get more hight when doing flips by going faster?

• Baller

as your second training partner...i rate you should go faster bro..im no expert trickers, but maybe if you go faster you'll get more air on your flips and you wont be forced to land like you normally do, take it up to 30..and then for toe's you can obviously go back down. :)

check you soon mate :) we probably the only south africans here...:)

• Baller

The minimum trick speed is where you should take as many edge catch falls as slip out falls. Usually that minimum speed is 26kph (16mph). This is the beginner speed. Ski size and skier weight make a bit of a difference but I always start skiers at at least 26kph (16mph). As you improve you should move your speed up a bit. The water gets harder so you can push faster and push for more difficult tricks.

I trick at about 30kph (18.6mph). I do both hands and toes at that speed. It is faster than I really like so I bracket my training speeds to the low side a few beeps. I weigh 75 kg (165lbs) and ride a 1.1m (43in) ski. Kirk weighs 65kg (140lbs) and skis the same ski. He has more flips and he rides at 30kph (18.6mph) for his hands. He is bumping that speed up as he gets more flips in his run. He toes at 28kph (17.5mph). Many of the top trickers ski even faster.

Do not exceed 37kph (23mph) unless you are huge as the trick course will not properly fit speeds higher than that. Once a kid can ski at all, I pull them at 22kph (14mph) as the wake gets weird slower. As you speed up you should add length onto your rope. The wake should be about 3m wide where you ski. Shorter ropes do make flips easier though. Shorten your rope if you case the wake a lot (or up the speed a bit). Lengthen the rope if you always land in the flats. You want to land on the downslope of the wake for your flips.

I hope Horton doesn't delete this thread. Who knows, maybe in a while you will be running the course Kirk style (where he does a flip every time he crosses the wake). Tricks are fun and the watersense you gain does help your slalom.

Eric

• Baller
Trick slalom is my most favorite and fun event to do, but I don't feel like it helps your slalom at all (eric).  the movements you need to ride a trick ski in the course and make it work and turn are not what you want to mimic on the slalom course on a traditional ski.   BAM!

Will try uping my speed this weekend. The main problem with my flip is my rotation. I land with the ski very on edge, not coming down flat. Also tend to crunch my knees thus makin landings not to pleasent. Just watched a vid on you tube and they said i need to push most of my weight on the front foot into the wake.

Regarding max speed. I did 65km/h about a year ago. Ski actually turned real smooth haha.. Tried a side slide And it was ok. Then pulled out softly and let go, shot off for about 60m.

I currently trick at 21mph, but I am currently 245 (down from 260) on a 45" ski. Since most of my falls are now slip out falls I am probably going to drop about .5-1 mph. I only trick about 900-1000 points. Even at 21mph I have never run out of lake on my passes, but, I can get pretty close to the end after 20 seconds. Luckily I usually fall before I get close to 20 seconds so it doesn't matter any way.

• Baller

JaredFish, usually flip rotational problems stem from the takeoff. The approach to the wake needs to be balanced and the angle needs to be very progressive. I try to get the ski on track to be cutting away from the boat while in the air. If there is enough progressive cut and front foot load it really feels like you are cutting through the air. Another thing, do not lean away from the boat like a slalom cut. Do more of an upright surf cut. Obviously, that is not stable. You get pulled over the top into an effortless flip! I tend to slalom cut too much so I try to do a little shoulder check in towards the boat at the base of the wake. And make sure the front foot is very heavily loaded.

If you have a tower and weights, flips are much easier on a big wake. Or go out with some wakeboarders - just stick to trick speeds and rope lengths. But a 206 is a great flip boat when heavy.

Maybe skidawg has pinpointed the root of my slalom lameness. But I think of how bad my buoy count would be without all those acrobatic trick derived recoveries.

Eric