z7 vs 9900

jaredH20

trying to decide between these two. Looking @ the 65" z7 or the 65.75" 145 Amp 9900

I run the occasional 32 off but mainly getting 4 @ 32.I am currently skiing on a 2006 x5 65".

What do you guys recommend? from what i have read the z7 will be more forgiving, tho i dont know to much about the goode.

In the rough will the z7 be easier to ski on?

Should i be looking at the wide ride or another ski?

I am unfortunately unable to try any skis. As i live in South Africa and shipping would be a killer if i were to ship each ski.

Thanks in advance

• Baller

You really need to look at what ski has proven itself.  Both are good skis, but there are a lot more skiers on the 9900 than the Z7, that says something. 

The 9900 seems to be a very popular ski.  I am on it and love it.   

• Baller

The Z7 is brand new, so the social proof theory in my mind is not a good way to make a decision on what amounts to a highly personalized choice.

I would think since you are on a D3 now, stay with D3.  Plus, w/ Goode's dubious QC issues, warranty fulfillment, and your shipping locale - the Z7 or even the RCX for that matter is the safer choice.

• Baller
Both skis perform well but I think ScarletArrow makes a good point regarding QC issues - the same can't be said of D3.  The Z7 is a quick ski yet rides a bit deeper than the 9900 and therefore, would be a better performing ski in questionable conditions.  And, coming from an X5, the transition period would be much shorter.

• Baller
The Z7 doesn't run long.  I was on a 68" RCX.  My 68" Z7 is the same length.  It's .0040 wider under the bindings and the width carries further forward.  Some skiers were going smaller but now have transitioned back to their previous size ski.   The tail is a different design as well.  If you are on the bubble as far as size, go smaller.  I would use D3's weight chart to determine the proper sizing.

scarlet i was having exactly the same thoughts.

Are there any other skis out there is should be looking at?

tried the A1, enjoyed it tho in the rough and my off side turn i had to bend my knees alot more than i had to compared to my x5, into the first wake it felt awesome, could get used to it tho i believe the z7 is more forgiving.

• Baller
I'm on the 65" S1. It's awesome. It's the right mix of stability, predictability, forgiveness, and speed. It seems to stay with me just like I need it to. I usually use 66" skis but the 66" S1 was too big. The 65 is just right. Not sure how it would work if you're at 36mph though.  

Goode skis can be quite "good" or not, depending on what you get. my 3 girls have used several, and each of the same model can vary.....but if you get one you like, hang on to it......for the Z7, it is a new ski as ScarletArrow reminded us, now after a season, the fin settings are coming in....having 2 of them, i have worked with the Z7 fin quite a bit. ...now after a season, the ski is performing well for many. ....i am not sure, but we may be ordering another one for my current national champ...btw, the july updated factory settings are pretty close for everyone, some like the bindings one hole back.

if y ou had to pick without trying, it would be a great choice, other skis have more personality, they may work a bit better, or.....not.

the girls and i tried both the wr and have been on the z7, the Z got much more angle and had a much much tighter turn than the wr........but the wr was forgiving, especially up through 32 for the girls and me....just school bus turns.....but this was the 62" with some different rails, ...and it did chatter in the turn for the 3 skiers I saw....the Z almost got too much angle, and I may be tuning it down a bit.

I switched from a 2006 66†X5 to a 65†z7. The z7 right out of the box felt more forgiving and did not seem to punish me as bad for my mistakes.  I actually  feel in my case the z7 will help me work and improve on my technique.Can’t comment on the Goode’s since I have never skied on one. I do know of a couple of skiers who were on Goode skis and switched to the z7 after a couple of demo rides.