Boot spacing

Steven

• Baller
This last weekend I was playing around with boot spacing. I opened up my stance by one hole. The thing that I noticed after doing this was that  all of the sudden I was dropping my hip into my onside turn better. Is this something that just happened out of the blue or is there any arguable evidence to support this? I skied 3 sets this weekend, made the change before the second set and left it like that for the third. I only noticed this sensation on the last 2 sets. I'm confused as to why I would feel this?

• Baller

I was talking to Jon Travers about this very subject at Diablo a few weeks ago.  His boots are spaced pretty far apart and he feels it gives him better balance.  It makes sense in that its easier to balance with a slightly wider stance.  One skier at our lake separated his boots this weekend by about 1 inch.  I thought he was crazy but he skied well.

I may play around with it one day too.

• Baller
This is something that Dave Miller (of Big Dawg fame) brought up on one of the other forums. He spaces his back binding a bit from the front and says it helps his onside turn while not effecting his offside. I moved my rear RS-1 binding back one hole from the front and found it had the same effect for me. Haven't tried more than that though.