out with the old, in with the new !

RichardDoane

• Baller_
I was able to ski that Strada for the first time on Sunday, Oct 4th with Eddie up at Herb's lake.  It felt so good after a deepwater start and a couple of quick moves that  instead of freeskiing a couple of passes, I ran through the gate @ -28, ran the pass, spun the island without a drop and ran another 28.  At the end, Eddie laughed at me for not sticking to the plan, so I shortened and ran BTB -32's.  Pass 5 was -35, ran it, dropped and then almost backed it up - missing the 6 ball - Rats !  Felt so good I asked Eddie to let me take it to California for the Imperial tournament.  I flew to Calif. Thursday the 8th, and was lucky enough to get to Imperial the day before and hang out with the Canadian gang at Paul's house.  Had David Miller watch me from the boat for a couple of practice sets, he was very helpful - had me working on getting an earlier and wider pull out, standing up better on my front foot in the glide, and then turning in earlier and easier through the gate.  The goal was to slow down my speed into 1 and keep the line tight.  Both practice sets went well, running all the 28's and 32's without missing a ball.  The tournament went ok, ran 1 @ -38 in round 1, ran 3 @ -38 in round 2 (actually felt like I was in it for a brief moment) but screwed up my -35 in round 3 and canned the 6 ball, scoring 5.5 - which I think is the worst spot to blow it because you're usually within touching distance of the exit gates.  We then put together a Head to Head fun round after the event Sunday.  I drew first against one of the Canadian Sandbaggers, who shall remain nameless, and even though I got eliminated, my 3 @ -38 felt pretty good.  That Strada is an easy skiing shape, deepwater starts nicely, very stable in the glide (doesn't "hunt" for an edge), and turns great on the offside.  Usually I have to add a bunch of tip to the overall length of a fin to improve my offside turn, but with this ski it's not necessary.  The onside is excellent, and it's faster than the A-1 I've been using this season. The fin is easily adjustable just like all the Radars, it has replaceable inserts should one be needed, and will be priced so people can get one without hiding the dollar amount from their spouse.  What's not to like ? 

• Baller

I understand my ski partner bought the a1, as I sent him your way as he doesn't lurk this forum.  The bad news is he'll have to take it for a rip before the winter and we're below zero degrees (celcius) at night so the water will be in the 40's so I get to try my "brass monkey" skiing!  We should have snow flying in the next week or so...

• Baller

Richard, that is the same ski Matt and I skied with trent and sully on sept 27th

I tried to pry that one out of there hands but no go!  glad you did!!

I just ran btb 22,28 32 the ski felt early fast stable, with a sweet off side, being 185lbs a 66 was a little small, but it was sweet better than my MPD 67,  I will switching soon!!

Deano 

• Administrators

• Baller_
The A1 is now a Canadian waterski, thanks to the BOS Classifieds.   Eddie let me try another 66" Strada yesterday (this one's a little stiffer) and it worked great. The new bottom graphics are also pretty cool.  Wiley's set me up on new Strada boots, I put them on the plate, but haven't skied them yet.  Hopefully this week if the weather's decent.

• Baller

Richard- Can you provide feedback after you ski the Strada's?  I am particularly interested the release mechanics in an OTF.  I am recovering from a full achilles rupture 6 weeks ago, and am reconsidering my current hardshell binding set up. 

Perhaps you could be a crash test dummy in an OTF or two??/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

• Baller_

MS - 6' 175#, Eddie thinks a 67" might be a better fit, we'll see when they start making 67's, but that 66" feels pretty darn good for now.

jcmccavit - the top has a RS-1 graphic on it, so it looks identical to the one Horton tagged with his BOS sticker. 

Tuney - here's close ups of the bottom.