34 and 36 off?

bmiller3536

A few ski buddies of mine started skiing with a practice rope that starts @ 28 off and has 2 foot sections up through 38 off. We got into a discussion on wether or not this would be beneficial. I figured I would open this up to anyone out there that has an opinion.

I do not think running 34 off or 36 off will help you run 38 off. I think you can accomplish more by working on technique at 32 off and 35 off and becoming more consistent at 35 off ( an actual line length) than running 34 or 36 off.

Well, one approach does not require that you modify or buy a new rope.

I tend to think it swings both ways and that a little of each is beneficial. When you slow down the boat, you feel less rushed throught the entire pass. This gives you a good chance to get used to the geometry and perspective of the new pass. But eventually, you will need to work this out at your maximum boat speed and a good way to make that a little be easier would be to have a little bit more rope. 

One reason for creating the practice rope was to test the mental aspect of moving up the rope.  Many times after someone runs a great pass and then cuts to the next line length I hear the phrase "just do the same thing here".  As much as I try, I have a tendency to initiate the turn earlier and finish harder when I get to my hardest pass.  So "doing the same thing here" mentally makes more sense when each increment is a more subtle change.  Initially I got the result I was looking for in this department, but it didn't take long to 'adjust' to the practice rope and start changing my style at the new hardest length.

Next, I don't believe that running 34 or 36 off will help you run 38 off.  But practicing at 36 off may make 35 off feel easier in a tournament.  This would be similar to training at a slightly faster speed than the actual speed you will be running in a tournament.

Another thing about this rope is that it is solid blue.  Again, this was to test the mental aspect of changing line lengths.  More for a change of pace than anything else I was curious to see how someone reacts to jumping from length to length without knowing precisely what length they are at.  From experience I can say that it's hard not to cheat by looking closely and counting the loops.  Also, from experience I can say that my results were pretty similar whether I cheated or not.  Even when I didn't cheat though there was a natural tendency to adjust my intensity by visually spotting the distance from the boat.  No big surprise there.

Finally, the true test of this rope would have been to take a skier on the verge of running the next line length and let them ski up the line with no prior knowledge of the actual rope dimensions.  I've certainly heard a few stories about someone who ran a new pass for the first time because someone in the boat cut the rope without the skier's knowledge.  Unfortunately I blew the opportunity to test that scenario by giving in to questions about the rope.  If I hadn't maybe bmiller3536 would have run a few 38's in the last couple weeks.  :)

• Members
I know what you mean Clemsondave, I made a cheater loop for 38 that was fifteen inches long(half length of 35) ran the pass two out of three times like it was 35. Shortened to 38= samme old story; 2 or 3 . Hard to believe fifteen inches could make that much difference.