'Skiers hunch'

OSSKI

• Baller
I am rapidly developing what I have heard called 'skiers hunch', where your shoulders become pulled around and forwards into a contstant hunched and inflexible position. How many of you have experienced a similar thing? And any tips on how to combat this, stretches etc?

www.swervetracker.com

• Baller

I hadn't heard aboutthat before.. buy I use a Concept 2 rowing machine for 2,000 meters/day.

I would think that that would be great ff and on season condidtioning for the condition you describe.

I hope that helps. It certainly does wonders for my back and stomach.

• Baller

Bill, you are probably right on some of it, but my shoulders are very prominent on the front, and on my back they simply round away forwards...Think it is mainly due to the pull from the boat through the handle constantly pulling your shoulders in? With regards to the lack of flexibility for example, I can barely work myself into the 'butterfly' machine in the gym, even on the most forward setting, and can't bring the bar down to touch my chest on the bench press...Basically I can't get my arms back past level with my body (if that), and was wondering if anyone had any activities to try and get some of this flexibilty back and 'push my shoulders back' to where they should be...

I agree that the rowing machine is great for core strenth and the benefits this has for skiing, but can't help thinking this would cause more of the same thing with the shouders being pulled forwards? Although the load is clearly nowhere near the same amount I guess...

www.swervetracker.com

The proper backward stroke on a rowing machine finishes with the shoulders being pulled back into a "shoulder-blades-pinched-together" position.

Also, I'd have to think that lots and lots of planks and/or push-ups would be good for this issue.

And, finally, maybe a wider handle would help - perhaps even a 15" wakeboard handle - by better allowing your chest to get between your biceps on your pull.

TW

Having your shoulders rolled forward doesn't sound like excess back muscles it actually sounds like the opposite is the problem. It sounds like the situation a novice bodybuilder is in when he works too much pec muscles and not sufficient back. When the strength of the front overpowers that of the back then the front will pull the shoulders in. Because you said your anterior and posterior delts are both strong I'd ask how your pecs(Chest) compare with your back? How about bicep to tricep? You know your body better than anyone.

Assuming your muscles are in balance (back and front and to a lesser extent arms) the first thing I would try is warming up and stretching everyday. Do full body but the main stretches I would suggest are for pec, lat and shoulder:

Pec: face wall, place on the wall with your hand stretched away from your body and turn your body the opposite direction. So left hand on wall, rotate body to your right. You could also try laying on your back on a bench or the floor and stick your arms out so they hang out. 

Lat: place one hand overhead and  reach to your other side.

Shoulder: standard horizontally abduct the shoulder(bring it across your body, pull it behiind your head and finally do circles.

As far as exercises, I'd work on things that horizontally abduct the shoulders pull them behind you with your arms in a wingspan position. As well as rotator cuff exercises.

Shoulder Abduction: take a dumbell, and bend over at 90 degrees(prop yourself up on a bench or chair) so your face is looking at the ground and the dumbell is hanging perpendicular to the ground. Have the weight in your hand with your knuckles pointing out and pull the weight out so your arm ends up parellel to the ground.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cline/exer/HorizontalAbduction.gif

rotator cuff: get a pully, light weight or physio band, hang it at the level of your elbow when your elbow is tucked into your ribs. Then pull on it rotating your shoulder(keep the wlbow tucked in). Use both directions, so pull across your body and in toward your body.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cline/exer/InternalRotation.gif

If the stretching fails and you feel your strength is well balanced (becaue this could definitely be it) then I'd suggest making an appointment with a physiotherapist. Skelletally the shoulder is held onto the rest of the body by the clavicle (or collar bone) which attaches from your sternum to your scapula(shoulder blade) and that to your humerus(arm). This makes me doubt that it is a structural problem but I'm not a Dr. Have you ever had a dislocation or separation?

Good Luck.

Edit: Mr. Wayne is correct, the rower is working your back muscles not your chest.  When you pull on the handle it is causing the stuff behind you, posterior delt and back to contract. You'll also get some bicep in there.

• Baller

I think TW and Tuney have it right.  Sounds like your ski muscles are more flexible allowing the other muscles in your shoulders and chest that are tighter to roll your shoulders forward.  I think dumbbell flies,, push-ups, dips, pec cable machine and any thing else that will put a stretch on the front half of your upper body will help restore your shape. 

I spend a little time in the gym during the season and usually do supersets starting with a benching exercise and pull-ups.  I alternate my grips on the pull-ups and usually do four sets.  Yesterday I did 20 minutes on the stair climber, leg extensions and curls, inclined bench and pull-ups four sets of each then four sets of Arnold curls/military press.  That is about it for lifting weights while skiing as far as quantities of sets go although I will change the exercises.  In addition, I try to run and cycle each a couple of times a week for cardio.

I haven't settled on my offseason routine yet but I am sure it will be the addition of some more gym time each work-out starting on the rowing machine and ramping up my running for some road races and weight control.

• Baller
When I was recovering from surgery to repair a torn pec tendon, I developed the same problem.   What helps to stretch it is a foam tube, 24-36 inches long, 6-8" in diameter.  First you lay flat on the floor and try to get your whole back in contact with the mat/carpet.  Then lay on this tube and try to push you shoulder blades to the floor, holding for 30-120 seconds.  Finally, go with the tube again and repeat step one.  It will be noticably different.  You can do all sorts of exercises and stretches on the tube (elbow to opposite knee, etc).  I can't remember them well enough to describe, but a couple sessions with a good physical therapist would be worthwhile to ensure you're doing it right.

• Baller
Most poeple do not do enough back and rear delt work to balance chest and shoulders, not sure if this is your case.  If it is, the key is to find a good back workout and rear delt work out for both large and small muscles groups and stick to it through the offseason.  Any movement that emphasizes the need to set your shoulder blades before the major movement is what you should concentrate on.