New Radar Strada Report

RichardDoane

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
In Chris' first vid, I was amazed that he skied as deep as he did with so much tip rise! I was watching it on you tube and the video stalled in the turn on one of his off side turns. There was so much tip out of the water that I couldn't believe that he could get it down and off in the right direction to continue the pass. From that perspective, it looked as if he was losing a bunch of ground every time that the tip rose. That's a true testiment to his keen sense of awareness on the ski. He's an amazing athlete!  Bruce55, I don't know if you've been to the Pro Ski Coach, but as Shane was saying, he does comment on fin set up. You might go and read those threads about the ski. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

• Baller

TW,

You're kidding right?  Straight from the pullout I was amazed at how much tip Rossi had out of the water.  I have watched Rossi ski for years, and this latest video just doesn't "look" Rossi like.  Chris is a great skier, and he does get the ski back under control as your pictures show, but after most of his turns the tip is waaaay up.

Sorry dude,

Ken D.

• Baller

This is what Rossi replied last month when asked about his pullout and turn in on ProSkiCoach.........

"My goal with gates is to accelerate from the starting point.  I used to focus on falling away (more forward) and catching the boats load when I reached the bottom of my fall.  This works fine but I found that my speed was developing too late so I was ending up too wide on the boat.  I focus now on getting into my accelerating position before starting my out for the gates.  Standing more center to back, engaging my hips forward, torquing from the trailing arm, and attempting to leave my ski more out in front of me during the first stage of the gate sets me up with a better line.

The starting point is the spot you stand in before edging out for the gates.  For me, it is as close to the wakes as possible without being in the dip.  You should not be standing out in the whitewash created from the spray of the boat.  I place 60% of my weight on my back foot before starting my edge out.  This allows my right hip to be forward with my legs fairly straight.  I focus on having my right hip connected to the handle and when I want to start my edge out, I transition to my right hand (torque) and think about keeping the ski out in front of me while powering the left edge of the ski.  We want to be able to ski out on a tight line, so by keeping the ski more out in front of me, I keep the ski on a more realistic trajectory. 

The first stage of my gate is from the starting point to the edge change out for my gates.  We normally edge change in the course at the second wake.  My thought with the gates is that we are already starting wide of our preferred edge change location (2nd wake) so I am trying to get my speed and direction set earlier (first stage gets shorter in duration).  This gives me more time to ski away from the boat on my turning edge which helps me to keep a tight line and be able to roll in with speed."

• Baller_

Here’s a video I found that definitely shows Rossi with huge amounts of tip rise on both sides and a lot of ski out of the water, consistent with Bruce55’s question.

http://vimeo.com/8044786

Try a freeze frame at 1:00 and 1:07

This could be as simple as the fin being too deep, kicking too hard with the back foot, or yanking the handle in.  The stills are just a little too selective to show the whole story.

TW’s idea of civil discourse is a long way from "thoughtful, substantive conversation". He uses a badgering approach that is irritating and very much one sided.  He has no interest in even considering other points of view.  The best thing is to ignore him while the rest of the posters do actually engage in civil discourse.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

"thager

Deja Vu! Seems like we go through this every year about this time. "

Thager,

As well as every year, it's the same people on every forum every year bullying and badgering.

Some people have more time on their hands; some people have less time to actually ski too I guess.

I think Bruce55 was exagerating his claim a little bit, but TW seemed to get a little defensive about it.

If Chris Rossi cannot keep the tip of the ski down on both turns (just for a half second) then what will that ski do to someone who is not as athletic? or 99% of the other sloalom skiers out there?

• Baller
As was mentioned before, these videos were made during testing of new skis to nail down the flex and fin settings. There was later video of Rossi where the tip of the ski stayed down and drove through the finish of the turn. Think about the video of Regina Jacques on her WR tying set, though. Talk about stupid bad tip rise. About 10 times as bad as what we see from Rossi here. And you don't hear everyone saying the Goode 9900 can't be ridden by the average skier. 

I am not saying Radar's cannot be ridden by the average skier.

All that I am saying is Radar skis will have downsides just like every other ski out there. No one has made the 'perfect ski'. One of my biggest problems on a ski is getting alot of tip rise. So the Radar would not be the first ski I tried. Depending on the skiers style certain skis will fit more naturally.

Regina and Chris are freakish athletes that can do things no one else can do. It is hard to try and evaluate a ski when it is under Chris Rossi

• Baller

well watch R ich on the ski he has no tip rise!!!   he running 38 now  something that he did not do before the new ski!! 

I have skied a proto ski  it was soft and had or felt no tip rise!!

Demo the ski your self!!!    it has a amazing off side turn!!   I'm getting one forsure!

get out side do something!!!

Im going snow skiing 11 time this year.

happy new year!!!

Deano

• Baller

The thing that blows me away about the whole tip rise thing is that Chris got thru the -41 sooner in the first video than the second. I realize that there are alot of factors to consider when comparing one set to another, but it (almost) seems that the extra speed that he got from the earlier fin set up could have assisted him in completion of the pass.(Just guessing here) I could have "never" completed my hardest pass with that amount of tip rise (1st vid) I guess that's what seperates the men from the boys!

bmiller3536, you're right with you're comment about ski evaluation and Chris Rossi, we need to get one under our feet so we can make a fair assessment of the product. But, Radar skis (in my opinion) seem to be "very" user friendly! I think all a person can do is listen to the comments of the people that have tried them. So far it seems that the consensus has been that this could be one to try!  Watching video of Richard Doane, it looks like the tip stays down well for him!

• Baller

Bruce, no need to apologise. Secondly its a person, not people who take this stuff so seriously and picks at your exact words. TW is a man who thinks he is always right and picks fights, because his lake is frozen 8 months a year and he has nothing better to do...

Chris Rossi is one of the greatest skiers of recent time and personally my skiing idol. Without people like him testing and trying new techniques and equipment we wouldnt progress.

In regards to tip rise or any other "Technique" related issue, There are simply NO absolutes. -Period... (how Ridiculus would West Coast have appeared back in the day???) If your ave. Golf pro ever got a hold of an Arnold Palmer or Lee Trevino they would have mistakenly destroyed their natural "Less then Tiger'ish" form and probably their chances of ever becoming the dominate Golfers that they did indeed become.

Chris' quest for perfection will continue to keep his Personal Technique evolving. (just as A.M's tech. is STILL evolvng...) Tip rise or any other Characteristic that stands out, is indeed worth taking note of and trying to learn the VALUE of it's use for that perticular individual as well as if there is anything to be gained through our own personal application. Similarly, as Shane noted earlier, Chris went into great detail on PSC about his entry Gates tech. which INTENTIONALLY applies more rear foot with much tip rise and definetely Looks very different. But, that was and is not about the ski, it was and is a tech. he is applying. (its seems to work great for him. But, might not be even good for someone else.) There are No absolutes...

Maybe the Best we can do is: Watch, openly discuss and Learn...  

Discuss  def; "to exchange views about something in order to arrive at the Truth".

HAPPY NEW YEAR BOS!

All

Have a look at Front page 11 and watch Regina Jaquess video, the tip rise is very much more exaggerated. I think she is using this as a strategy. I have seen other skiers adopt this to a greater or lesser extent. It's just possible that they are taking the acceleration and then setting the direction.

We all know the loads that can be generated by two much angle off the buoy, or should I say at the buoy. Imagine being up to 'speed' then taking angle, possibly a low load approach?  

Just some thoughts? 

• Baller_
I'm hoping to do some "tip rise" testing tomorrow, it's been almost 2 weeks since riding my Strada through the ice chunks. I heard from Eddie today that Radar Lake is ice-free, and hopefully the Broho is completely liquid again. I was hoping to get my son to ride one of the new 65" Stradas, but they've all headed to Florida.

• Baller

'I rest my case' - TW.

Without being such a literate expert such as yourself TW, i do believe the above quote was a summary of your position. Will you not stick to your word?

Cant you just go argue with Paul and Co on TWSF and leave BOS alone?

Dear Rodney King,

We are a very small community of Athletic types from a very rare and almost obscure sport. As we stand together, trying to Hold our  dear little family together, we are constantly battling many forces of Evil such as High Gas prices, the economy, Wake Boarders and old Man Winter...

Although we have been making great strides in our OFF SEASON quest to "all get along", Can you offer us another piece or two of wisdom so we may complete our "Unity" puzzle and survive the Long cold Winter?

Thank you,

DAWG

• Baller
Quote from:

Brent I meet Roger @ Okeeheelee yesterday & he was trying out a Strada for the 1st time & he thought it had a lot of promise , he had to give it back but will get a chance to try it again next weekend. Brent, it was great to meet another BOS member! I did try the 68" Strada and can see it has promise. It was a bit windy and I was uncertain (still am) of binding placement. With my RS-1 bindings in the middle adjustment hole, I was 30.25" from the stitching to the tail. Didn't measure the fin, it was "as is" from the factory. First pass (it was getting pretty windy by then), pulled out for the gate and nearly glided right past (glides much farther than my Fischer with the same pull out). I forced the turn in and ran just a couple of buoys. Then ran 4 28s and a 32 off. Each pass I committed a little harder to the turns and the ski responded well. I felt I had to push the ski too hard on both sides though and my first thought is the bindings may be too far back. The good news is no matter how hard I jumped on the nose at the turn, it still turned. The RS-1 I spent about a month on would have thrown me off if I did that. After re-reading this thread, I believe I will try the 67" version next weekend as I weigh 185lbs and at least on guy on here at 205lbs was riding the 67 without issues. I looked all over Radar's site and via Google search but could not find stock binding placements for the ski (anyone have them?).

• Baller
      I agree that at your weight the 67" would be a much better choice. The Strada is advertised as having a wider forebody increasing the overall ski area per length.  My experience in this area has proven to me that the bindings perform better in the forward position to take advantage of this. I am currently on the Goode 9900WR.
      I am looking forward to your evaluation of the 67.
Check Six,   ED

• Baller_
We skied this afternoon, Eddie, Wally & Sully were all on the 68". Wally's about 210, Eddie's about 165, and Sully's about 185. Wally likes the 68" better than the 67" he tried, Eddie & Sully were just doing the R&D thing, I'm still on the 66" @ 175 (been eating too much/gotta love the Holidays). Tomorrow I've got a 67" for Officer Friendly to try out @ Broho. We'll see if he likes it as well or better than the 67" Senate C he's been riding. As for "tip-rise", I had some when I got a little tired and did the "straight front leg turn" when I tried to back up a -35, but I think that would've happened with any ski. I'll try to get some pics/video tomorrow. I'm trying to set the record for the longest thread.

• Baller

Dave,

Been skiing more than normal for this time of year trying to get going since I am changing my entire setup from the boots and skis I rode for over 10 years. Tough changing bindings. Strada boots feel great, but took some time to get comfortable making the change.  Skis are usually pretty simple.

Here is where I am now: 

6.734 length, .757 DFT, 2.54 Depth, Wing 9 degrees, Front boot 29.5 from tail (Strada Boots size 10, on my plate this is 1/2 hole forward of center)

Ski likes the tip loose. You may want a little more length, but this is a good place to start. I usually run fins shorter than most.The 6.74 Eddie had me start with was too much tip for me. Think Baker is somewhere between 6.74 and where I am. Come over and I'll help you give it a shot when it warms up some.

Marc

Thanks Marc,

I almost stopped by for new years. Spent the weekend in Buda and almost took the exit when we were buzzing down the toll road.

That road has really put ya'll on the map, kind of had to look over my shoulder but it's right on top of ya'll.

I will come up and ski with you, do you go to SMRR any more? I've been planning on a road trip with Jim.

Thanks for the number's hope it's here by Friday 

Thanks for the numbers everyone, can't wait to ride it.

I will tell you that I'll be waiting for the water to recover a little and will only start out with BTB -28's. I not only need to get a good feel for the ski but need to get rid of some old school skiing.

Richard,

Your latest photo shows your still using your RS1's, have you tried your new boots? If so what do you like that's different between the two?

Eddie,

Thanks for the stock numbers and might give you a call if needed!

I picked up the Strada Boots today so hopefully the weather cooperates the next few days, I really liked the Strada w/Animals so will see how the new boots are. Did not care for the RS1s but do like the looks of these and the improvements over the RS1s look positive.

Thought I'd give you guys an update,

Got a call Monday morning around 10:00 from Jay and he said, David just pulled a 67" off the UPS truck...You still want it? I can ship it out today!

Well I was hoping it would arrive late Friday evening..but wasn't holding my breath. Yesterday evening the door bell rings..and low and behold my Strada is here.

That's what I call customer service! Many Thanks go out to Jay and his staff at Bennett's.

I couldn't wait to see. I popped the staples out of the box and slide the ski out. Very nice fit and finish on all the edges and the inserts looked good. The fin clamp is a little smaller than my MPD's, same design but well put together. Seemed like the top edge of the ski might be abrasive like a goode so I'll watch out for that.

Time to pull out the caliper's...Eddie and his staff are doing and excellent job sending them out. Right out of the box...one/one thousand's difference with lenght & depth.

Sounds like difference in calipers to me...but you know how a new toy is....you got to play with it!

The one thing that stood out when setting up the fin was the tail of the ski. It's appears to be perfectly square and flat. If you don't have a set of slot calipers this worked out real nice when measuring DFT. Very easy to square up the caliper with repeatable measurements.

Boot's bolted up real nice with no misalignment on the inserts.

Eddie looks like time to get new spacer's for my plate...what do I need to do to get them?

Anyway nice looking ski Eddie can't wait till the skies clear up a little and ride it.

Eddie

Talked with MaryAnn at the shop and she's sending a set out. Thanks

Marc

Need to get some sets in before I make a road trip. Haven't skied since early Nov.

The weather is suppose to clear up and plan on sking Sunday. I haven't talked with Jim this week but he might be headed to SMRR this weekend. If he does I'll hook up with my nephew and ski with him.

Not sure if you know or not but Todd Johnson bought a house at Lago. He's been catching a ride with my nephew. With Todd and Brad in the boat they ought to be able to help set it up.

I will come up there...all I've got to do is tell the wife...Let's head up to the cabin...And we're outa here!

Hey sir here is hoping we can get out there this weekend.  I am jonesing to hit the water since we had the freeze.  Tired of just watching water ski video's while lifting weights!   I don't know how those up North can stand it.  I wouldn't make it a month! 

Lets keep in touch as the weekend gets closer and I will touch base with Todd and Brad and see if they are going to be around and availiable.

• Baller_

It's been raining alot in Washington lately, the Broho is too full and closed until some of the water runs out.  Luckily Radar Lake is still ok to ski so Saturday we skied, and had 2 new recruits to 67" Stradas.  One of the guys had been on an older Monza, with a rubber binding and a RTP.  I watched him adapt to a Strada with double Strada Boots in one set.  Granted he's a pretty good skier, but almost ran -32 in his first set, and easily ran 22,28 and 32 during his second set.  His friend isn't quite as strong in the course, but was easily running -15 @ 51K by the end of his second set.  The ease of operation of the new Strada was readily apparent.