RichardDoane

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Hey Richard,

If you care to expound on "Post 161", I'd be interested in any further explanation you may have with regard to that skiers ease of transitioning (from RTP) to the double boot w/ the Strada. Specifically, was he able to attribute this more to the boot design, or the ski design?

• Baller_
Ski design -  being easy to stand on in the "sweet spot", a little wider for less effort on deep water starting, and the off side turn characteristics.  I don't know that much about ski design, but whatever it is about the shape of that ski and it's edges makes my offside as good or sometimes better than my on side.  As for the boots, easy entry is a big plus, better lateral support sure helps your edge control, and with the water @ 40'F they help to keep your feet from freezing. Adapting to different skis and bindings can be difficult, but the upsides of both the Strada ski and boots makes it easier/less challenging I think.

• Baller

Thanks, Richard.  For the very point you mention (warmth in cold water), the closed toe double Strada boot appeals to me.  I've had no luck w/ prior attempts to convert from RTP...it seems to only exxagerate my flaws, and gives me a terrible off side.   I have already picked up a single Strada to run as a front boot.   Might be time to bust open the piggy bank this spring, and demo that ski.

• Baller

Well here is the bad news first.....I ran my first set of the day on my 67" Senate C.  I blew my -22 opener (I rarely do that) I ran it the second pass and then two -28 passes.  The ski did not feel too good so I went to the dock thinking I maybe need to go forward on my fin.  Instead I bolted on my bindings on a 67" Strada one hole forward like I have them on my Carbon Senate.  RD then tells me just ride it and make some turns to see how it feels.  So off I go 55K -22.  I pull out and all feels good so I turn into the gates figuring I will just see how the off side turn into the gate feels. WOW, ski turns in beautifully and there I go through the gates smooth and early.  I then just kept going, running a beautiful -22.  My off side where I struggle the most was awsome.  The ski was smooth and turned like it was on a rail.  I had instant confidence so I shortened to -28.  I then ran -28 and the ski felt even better.  I then shortened to -32 and ran that. 

I did not go any shorter, but ran another set and ran right up the line and through -32 again.  I am not a very good skier in a dry suit and cold water.  I ski in the winter to stay in some sort or reasonable ski shape.  So the fact I just got on the ski and ran that well was huge.  The best way I can describe the feeling is I had instant confidence with the ski and smooth rail turns on my off side.  When I got out of shape the ski didn't do anything funny and let me scramble right back into the pass.  When I rode it like I should, it was that much better.  Why is that  bad news...?  I just spent a bunch of money I was not planning on spending...

The good news, I now own a 67" Strada.  My only advice is, don't try one if you don't have the money to buy one.....OF 

• Baller
Richard, I don't think that works between the Fischer and the Strada. On the Fischer, I have it one micro-adjust back. On the 68" strada I put it in the middle normal-adjust hole and I think I was way too far back. I'm looking for someone using RS-1s successfully on the 67" and where they have them as a starting point for this weekend since I'll have limited time on the ski (others want to try it too).

Richard and OF,

Your demo thread is killing me (I think you have broken the thread length record).  I spent last year on a 67" RS1 and just traded into a 68" RS1 and now I keep reading this and thinking I need that Strada.  I told Krofchek to check out this thread and now he wants to try one (I think Wally is taking one down to him in AZ soon or already has).You guys should go into marketing for Radar.

Later,

Jammerman

Richard and OF:

Just got off the phone with Krofchek.  Wiener,  Wally, and Krofchek are  out at Spring Mountain Ski Ranch in AZ this morning (sunny, 65, no wind - sounds pleasent)  Joe was setting up the Strada to give it a run.  Said he call me later today to let me know what he thought.  I told him that I can't trust his review because he ski's so well on any ski.  I'll call you guys about maybe skiing this weekend.

Later, RJ

• Baller

Skied two sets on the 67 today. First set, the ski tended to stick on the offside turn and didn't want to come around on the onside turn. Moved bindings back on hole; changed wing from 8 to 9 degrees. Skied set two; much better, but still not what it could be I think. Took Eddie's stock settings with me, so measured the fin. DFT and Depth were ok, but length was 6.850. Reset length to 6.840 and ready to ski again tomorrow. However, just looked at tomorrow's weather and it doesn't look too great. The ski certainly worked better for me than the 68 I tried a few weeks ago, so could be on to something here.

• Baller
2nd time out on the Strada today.  Water in the mid 40's, air temp 48 degrees.  Ran great right up to 3 at 35. (My PPB is 5@35 and tournament PB 3@35)  This ski is awsome, I will run into 38 this year.  Just to set the record straight though, I have not skied on a A1, S1, Elite or Goode.  I came off a D3 custom X to a Radar Senate C and now this Strada.  I say this because my comments are based on how I skied on those other ski's.  I watched RD run a 38 off today like I run 32.  That ski flat works for him and I thought he skied well on the A1 last year.  OF

• Baller
Well, our blood is pretty thin here in S. Fla, so with 64 air and 68 water temps, most (including me) chose not to ski today. I had to return the Strada to Jeff Smith since he flys back to MI tomorrow. I will try that 3rd set with the settings Eddie posted when he next comes down and the weather cooperates at the same time. I hope to get on the same ski when he returns since I already adjusted the fin.

Officer F,

If you add a 1 handed gate and get off of the pull a bit quicker through the wakes, you are all over 35.

RD,

Your a stud. If your burnen 38 in that water, you could probably melt our 24 inches of ice and run it here. I need to get on a Strada bad. Actually, I need to get on anything bad.

• Baller_

MS - you need a "weekend get-away" to the Pacific NW.  Let us know, we'll put you up.

Horton wisely said this past summer, "-28 is nothing like -38, so why practice -28 ? .  I disagreed with him at the time, but after my 3rd set Saturday, I now understand that statement.  It's a confidence thing, and I've finally got it figured out.  Can't wait to start skiing behind a 2010 with ZO.

Right on RD but dont think that he knows what he is talking about. I just cant get from 28-38 in that cold of water. My hands wimp out and it feels like my forearms are on fire, but I cant wait to have that feeling.

I will wait for the water to get above 60 before I venture your way. I will have 48f water temps by late March if global warming stays. I usually invade JD, dawg and team malibu for a few weekends in Mar.  

• Baller
MS, that was some ugly skiing.  I told you I don't ski that well in the winter wearing a dry suit, but my second set was much better as kept the ski out in front and upper body back and still.  I may have to work on the one handed gate thing.  I have tried it in the past, but I don't think the rest of my skiing was ready for it.  Thanks for the tips, OF  

I'm with MS,

Got my Strada a couple weeks ago, Air was 58 and the water 48. Strada sits in the water real nice, rolls on and off edge real easy and gets from one side to the other like a bat out of hell. But the water was hard as a brick!

RD no ofense but you guys must never thaw out, Im waiting till it warms up a little that way I'll be able to feel what's going on.

I hope IL. water is warm in Aug.

There is nothing better than skiing this time of year in Washington, no yahoos, no bayliners, no wake boarders. Ski on public lake w/ course and the water is ours, today was awesome, sunny and 58. For those interested, the Strada rocks. I am skiing 28's so consistent on this ski, in the winter, in a dry suit, I can't wait for warmer temps and getting out of the drysuit and into 32. I've run 32 once but feel by this summer on the Strada, I'll be running 32 consistent and hope to get into 35. If you have a chance, you need to try this ski, coming off an A1, which is also a great ski, the Strada has a more consistent off side turn than any ski I've been on. Anyone want to buy a barely used 66" A1?

That's what I mean Richard,

On the Texas gulf Coast we have so much humidity in the air that 58 degree air feels like 30 degree's to a true gulf coast Texan. I know I commented about how the water felt but when you add in freezing your rear off at the same time it's hard to be loose and have good rhythm.

Middle to late August our water temp will be in the high 90's