WATER-FILLED BUOYS

Ed_Johnson

• Baller

Last week we had Ed Roberts certify our course here in Orlando. When putting in all new buoys I decided to take TW's research on waterfilled buoys and replaced all turn buoys with 20cm, half waterfilled buoys. This Sunday I nailed one ball after the apex inbound at 38 and kept right on skiing. THANKS TW, it worked just as you stated and I did not rebound off the buoy.

I highly recommend everyone to accomplish this as an important safety aspect.

I am confident Dave will design a new, safer buoy, and wish him a speedy recovery.

GOODE LUCK, ED

• Baller

I used a Flow Master Garden Pump Sprayer, unscrewed the nozzle, attached a double male threaded adapter, and attached an Air Nozzle Quick disconnect.  Then attached an air nozzle with a needle valve that I plug into my air compressor to fill the buoys with air. Use the same nozzle for both air and water.

I also took a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to make a template with a handle to size the buoys at 20 cm or 8 inches. I filled he buoys half full and adjusted the air, in or out, to meet the 20 cm. Really pretty easy.......ED

• Baller

Hi TW,

I had asked the question in the Dave Goode ankle thread and no one seemed to answer. I will ask you again if you know... Why are the bouys the size they are? Would a smaller one work and be less likely to cause injury? It is just a thought and a question as no one I have talked to about this seems to know.......

Thanks

Mike Loeffler

"Do Better..."

• Baller

Thanks - That picture rocks!!!! If we could only get some technology that would work it seems like a sensor in the ball and another in the ski could tell us when we have rounded, if it works for race cars going 150mph plus it would work for us (if it was water proof). This issue reminds me of snow ski gates from long ago (pre break away gates)...... the right idea would and could work..

Mike

aka Bulldog

"Do Better..."

• Baller_
We were skiing today, and I watched a skier hit the 4 ball (it was 1/2 full of water), knocking the ski up and out of the water, luckily a non-injury crash. So even if the bouys are weighted down with ballast water, the ski can still gets displaced and you can still get hurt. 

• Baller

We have problems with frigerators, branches, beer bottles, old tires still on the rims, dead bodies (just kidding about the bodies, they usually get them out right away) after the rain storm. It's truly a slice of paradise! (as long as it doesn't rain)

• Baller

Having suffered a buoy impact injury in September (resulting in surgery to repair a ruptured achilles), I have a vested interest in buoy safety.  A few thoughts:

Just because you haven't experienced a buoy injury, don't be complacent.  I have hit uncountable buoys over the years, mostly ankle or calf impacts, with thigh impacts at longer lengths, but all of no consequence.  In September, I hit one just "right" (center punch), that made life not so much fun.  Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, don't think it can't happen.

In the 2 months since my injury, I have heard of 4 other more recent buoy impact injuries resulting in surgery.  One is a friend I met and skied with this summer (Mens 6 into 38), and the others are all tournament skiers, including Dave Goode.  How many other injuries are there that I don't know about?

I have traded emails with Dave Goode regarding ideas for safer buoys.  He said he will NEVER ski around an air filled buoy again. I don't know Dave personally, but have faith in his ability to design innovative products.

Most buoy impact injuries I know about occur at shorter line line lengths.

Buoy technology is as important as binding technology, but unfortunately there is no $$ in buoy R&D.

Buoy impact injuries are not necessarily influenced by binding design.  (Of the recent injuries I know about, 1 was on double rubbers, mine was on a reflex, and Daves was obviouslly on Powershells).  Buoy impact injuries trandscends binding technology.

I think a safer buoy might have 2 components: a lower hemisphere that provides flotation and tension to keep the course aligned, and the upper, above water line hemisphere, which is made out of a  thin , light weight, durable, pliable material that does not rely on air pressure to maintain its shape (if it even exists??), which displaces easily when struck, so it does not easily displace a ski.

If anyone has the engineering background and the mean to design and market a safer buoy, count me in on buying a new set every year!

Sorry for rambling.  Its been a long 2 months...

Marco