Fin and Binding DataBase 2010

Horton

• Administrators

I got rid of the old Fin and Binding Database because it was a mess. Through the miracle of technology I have a much better solution. Below are the data fields that I think I want to capture. Anyone want to suggest additional data to capture.

Fin Length
How Measured
Fin Depth
Fin DFT
How Measured
Front Binding DFT
Front Binding Brand and Style
Rear Binding DFT
Rear Binding Brand and Style
Wing Angle
Wing UpSideDown or RightSideUp
Ski
Ski Length
Ski Year
Average water temp
Average Score
Notes

• Baller
DFFT or distance from front of fin to tail (jaws), helpful in comparison for those using the slot fin. Also more consistent than conventional DFT. Time on the ski at the posted settings (# sets, weeks, or months, etc.) Data posted after only a few sets of "experience" are of less value, imho

• Administrators
Good Stuff guys Keep it comming. I hope to get this going as soon as the rental house is cleaned up . . . anyone need a house in Bako?

• Baller_

Some additional items:

Ski: flex numbers if known 

Wing: type (std D3, Goode - big / small, Schnitz mini wing . . . )

Bindings:  twist, camber and perhaps a calculation field for dist between boots

Fin:  as noted, brand/type, calculated fin area, tip ratio

• Administrators

Ok guys the old Fin&Binding DataBase was a pain the in A$$. I think the new  works a lot better and will be very useful for us all. I am still calling it beta so let me know is something is broken. I am working on the way the data sheet works but that may be a long term issue

Go to http://ballofspray.com/settings and you will see the data form. Ready to add your #s? You will need to log in first. Then you will see a menu on the left. GetSettings links to the data sheet and AddSetting links to the input form.

NOTE: At this time the log in for the Forum and the Main Site are not the same. (It is two different systems)You will need a user name and password for each. You can use the same user name and password if you like.  If you have already posted to the classifieds, then you have an account at the main site that gives you access to the database.

Please knock around and let me know . . .

• Administrators

Ahhhh that brings me to one of the VERY cool things here. See the BLUE + next to the drop down for "Ski", "Size", "Year" and "Fin"? Click on it and add the value you need and it will be added to the list for all to use.

Also did you see that from the DataSheet view you can export to CSV? For you none tech folks that means that with one click you can get the whole database in your excel.

• Administrators
Might also notice that if you scroll all the way right on the page you can click "View" and that one record is reformatted for easier reading.

• Administrators

Hey Joe,

The record for Emily seems incomplete. If you will do it again I will make the one you did as Test data. Or you can just tell me what ski she is on and her ave score/

• Administrators

You can't  - I think 3 @ 38 is as good or same thing. I can fix it but as long as we get good data and notes I think that is what really matters.

How about some Stock #s anyone want to take a brand or two to start? I have a WestCoast DVD for the first person who gets me a whole brand worth of stock data.

I got a few of those stock settings knocked out.

There are a few that need to be cleaned up or deleted and I can redo them.

S1 68" year needs to be changed to 10 instead of 90-95

Prophecy 65" front boot should be changed to Connelly

Z7 64" upside down should be selected for wing

Z7 65" Read binding dft needs to be moved to front boot

Z7 66" year needs to be change to 10 instead of 09

X5 second entry for 65.5" with find length 6.93 should be for the 66.5" ski

I did put in an entry for the Warp 9. (for the 6 people that have one and the 1/2 person that doesn't have the numbers already). If you delete the space between the degree and parenthesis, the wing angles will display a little nicer. 

The stock settings for the Custom X are the same as the X5 if you can copy paste. There are stock settings for the 2007 Nomad RC, but not the early Nomad.

• Administrators

I made a few more changes. The first column is a little bit of a mess. I am looking for a mass edit took so I do not have to fix them one at a time. I am afraid I will have to hand edit all the  "Stock" numbers . . .  Not the end of the world.

Besides that I think it is pretty darn good.

Some of you guys asked for other fields. I think I crammed in all I can. If you have extra info please use the Notes field.

Making changes from here forward is getting harder so if you have an idea . . .  this is your last chance to tell me.

• Administrators

Scot,

I can give specific users the right to edit if  needed. In fact I would love it if someone besides me owned the data quality. If anyone wants to be the editor of this data,  please let me know.

• Administrators

Josh

Send me your address. I have a Terry Winter DVD for you.

Thanks for all the data. That is great.

Horton

Horton@BallOfSpray.com

I did Radar. If you could give me editing privileges I'd be OK with helping out with data quality. I made a major oops in my data entry on the RS1... I wasn't clicking "add" on fin type so they all came out stock, then when I realized what I had done and did the remainder properly I set them as personal rather than stock. :). Anyway, I can fix that up if you don't mind giving me access, if you'd rather not give the privileges to me just delete them and I'll redo them.

Also made the "personal" rather than "stock" error on these skis.

08 68†MPD

09 66†annex

08 69" Sen C

I guess I am just a little tired haha. Anyway, I'll see if I can come up with the time to add more skis over the next few weeks.

• Administrators
Ok. I see that sometime in the next week or so there will have to be some cleanup. Think I will be giving a few folks some edit rights. I have to look at a tech issue before I open it up . . . 

• Administrators

I am still looking for a good way to allow a few of you to admin the data but for not everyone can edit thier own records. Now if you click on the underlined name of the ski for records you created you can edit. I am getting smarter  . . . slowly.

The data we have is a good start. As it grows I will work on making it easier to work with and working out the tech so I can assign an admin.

You may still want another pair of eyes, but the need is greatly diminished now that users have the rights to edit their own entries. Look very good so far. When we get more personal data, I'm going to answer that question about the length to depth ratio.

Something to look into. The button to enter the vertical view is the text of the ski name. If a user enters a ski without a name, there is no way to enter the vertical view or edit the ski name. That probably just going to be one of the idieosyncrocies of that format unless you can make all data points into the button that will access the vertical view. 

• Administrators

All users have names.

I really want to be able to assign a editor but that is going to take some tech. I am also lookng for a way to mass edit . . . more tech to learn. Better  views  is also on the list.

Sadly the real job is killing me - better now then summer I guess.

• Administrators
I am going to pull the Fin and Binding Dbase off line today to do some mass edits. Everyone please cross your fingers that I do not screw it up.

• Administrators

The Fin&Binding Database is back the way it should be or maybe a little better.  I was tweaking on it and totally screwed it up. We all learn or in my case, cuss.

If you have entered data in the past would you please take a look and make sure that you still have the ability to edit your records. That is what I screwed up . . . all good now I think

Thanks,

Horton

• Administrators

I added Strada55 #s to the Fin and binding database today

Remember that to add your settings you have to sign into the main site. If you have never signed into the main site before. you have to create an account in addition to the forum password. (sorry about that) Go to the WallOfSpray or the classifieds to sign in  - then click on settings.