Best energy supplement

Old MS Accout

What do people do to get juiced when they ski?

Coffee?

It powers your workouts 
Downing coffee and toast between back-to-back workouts can keep you humming, a study from the Journal of Applied Physiology reports. Athletes who drank a caffeinated carbohydrate beverage after cycling had 66 percent more glycogen (an energy reserve) in their muscles than those who had a caffeine-free version. Replenishing glycogen helps you go farther and faster in your next session
Women given the caffeine equivalent of about two cups of coffee an hour before cycling reported 40 percent less pain than those who went decaf, according to a study from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Caffeine seems to block neurotransmitters that signal discomfort during exercise, researchers say

5 hr energy?

Is it legal in the IWSF to get jacked up on Caffeine?      

I have never used coffee for juice until this summer. Since then I have found that when I play Hockey and have a few cups in me, I can skate longer and with better concentration.

Do they test for caffeine if you win the worlds? I have a pretty good shot at that next summer.   

• Baller
I have tried a bunch of the energy drinks.  IMO the 5 hour energy is the best.  It does what is says it does, even level of increased energy without the jitters and no crash. I buy mine in bulk off of Ebay.  Keep the fridge stocked.

• Baller

PowerEdge Energy Drink.  It's a powdered drink mix, comes in those little tubes you mix into a bottle of water.  Almost exactly all the same stuff Red Bull has in it plus 80 mg of panax ginseng, but it tastes like a fruit drink NOT an energy drink.  The lemon-lime flavor (my personal favorite) tastes like Crystal Light.  When you buy it from this link below, if you buy a case (120 tubes) it's $50 for 120 with free shipping, which comes to just under 42 cents per dose...er, I mean, serving...  WalMart carries it sometimes, if you can find it there it sells for $1.99 for a package of 10 tubes.  They stock it then they don't, who knows?  Has 80 mg of caffeine FWIW.  Will definitely crank you up.  And no, I have no affiliation with the company that makes it, the place the link takes you to, or WalMart either for that matter.  In fact I try to avoid spending any money at WalMart if I can help it.  Anyway...  The link - http://www.discountcoffee.com/sturm_foods.htm#poweredge

Ed

• Baller

coffee/caffeine is a stimulant and a diuretic and has nothing to do with glycogen replacement- maybe the toast helps some but it'd be minor IMO.

get a high shelf protein bar (AST VyoPro comes to mind)- has relatively low calories, high protein and a great supply of high grade carbs

I had a chance to use A.C.T after a guy in DFW put me on to it. Of all the Red bulls and otheres out there, this one did not give me the jits. I thought it was the best I have used but then I found that a cup or 2 of coffee was much better. I started looking into it online and it looks like there is all kind of evidence that caffeine improves focus and performance.        

• Baller

Scot Jones,

Ran across some info the other day about coffe and wanted to pass it on.  Research shows that coffee made with a french press increases ldl cholesteral, but filtered coffee does not.  Apparently the filter seperates some of the oil out of the bean.  That oil increases cholesterol.  Food for thought.

• Baller

Pipeline Porter from Kona Brewing has a bit of Kona coffee added to the brew. It is awesome! Note that alcohol is an excellent energy source, malt sugar is is a rich source of calories and fluids are critical. Maybe enough of it would help with the Alaskan women, too.

The IOC tests for excess caffeine levels. I don't know how much is too much. Alcohol is specifically prohibited by AWSA but BAC levels are not specified - I guess hangovers are OK?

Caffeine works against my performances. Maybe my muscles get some help but the mental distraction from caffeine jitters really adversely affects me. No Coke, no coffee not even any chocolate for me on tournament days!

Calcium supplements, water, Gatorade (for the binding releases) and nuts for lots of slow release energy make up my tournament intake. I have been known to take a performance enhancing drug - Naproxen (Alleve). They can eliminate all the senior divisions by outlawing Ibuprofen and Naproxen.

Eric

For great strength and sustained pwr. before Hvy. Gym day's I like to spike the insulin levels with 12-16 oz of Rockstar, glutamine and 20 gms. Whey protien about 30 min. B4 my W/O... I do not get jittery as I am burning the fuel like a Top Fuel Dragster... However, this doesn't work out as good for me while on the water. As I am not exploding the muscles and combined with all the down time between sets, it seems to cause an unwanted source of muscle tension in the upper Back muscles...

I may slowly sip a simular concoction sometimes if I will be out for an extended period. Carbs are also great for the muscles, complex carbs 2-3 hrs. B4 and simple carbs during the event.

Caffeine is a proven benefit for many athletic performances. But, if 1 is Good. It doesn't mean 2 is better! 

5 or 6hr. energy drink does nothing for me that I can detect...