RS1 vs. Strada binding sizes

roda

• Baller

I recently picked up a new set of RS1 bindings and after 4 sets I think I got the wrong size. I sized up in the shop as they did not have any left over size 9s and the 10s felt fine and snug when dry. We molded them in the store. After 2 sets they felt quite loose yet they still had pressure points that were bothering me. I tried a pair of thick hiking socks and it helped snug up the foot but I still think I have too much room in front of the toe both for width and length.

They seemed to take quite a bit of pressure to release. I don't have the laces very tight and on the rear just snug. When I wore socks my feet slipped right out of the liners. I actually liked this from a safety standpoint and wonder what the downside is.

For reference I'm coming from FM double hardshells and so far I'm liking the softer feel, I believe it is making the ski less sensitive. The FM's were very comfortable however, snug all over without pressure points. I am only a 15 off skier but can run 22 on the occasional good day.

My questions:

If I go back to swap down from 10 to 9 I will have to go w/ the Strada's. Are they sized similarly or has anyone found a difference between the two?

How long does it take to fully break them in while skiing and work out any pressure points?

I remember reading about someone wearing sock liners to make it easier to get in to on the 2nd set when everything was wet, how does that affect the release?

Thanks

Two sets is definitely not enough time to break in the liner or get used to the boots. Where are you feeling the hotspots? I know that as I was adjusting to the boots, I had the bungees much tighter than I do now: for reference I now have between 1" and 1.5" pulled out north of the cinch.

• Baller
I feel pressure in the arch where the boot footbed has a raised area for the center screw insert and a couple spots on the bottom sides, cant remember exactly where unless I put them on. I figured the spots where there is a insert will correct themselves as the liner compresses over time.

• Baller

The Strada's definitely fit more loosely (for the size) than the RS-1's did. I put my feet in Size 11 RS1's last year and felt they were too tight (short) to even try skiing in. I heard that the liners for the Strada's were a bit thinner and ran more true to shoe size. I ordered a set of Size 11's and they fit very well in this regard. I did take the Radar insert, taped it to an old powershell flat plastic insert and then put this in the bottom of the boot. I felt the length was good, but just needed more volume to fill it up.

My wife also got on the Strada's last fall from Animals and liked them. She did feel that the rear binding was tight on her forefoot causing a pressure point on the lateral side. I swapped the full length orthotic that comes with the binding for a 3/4 length taped to the foot bed of the boot. Now her forefoot has more room and she still has arch support.

Roda. If you have good feet, (normal arches) you may not really need as much support there. You could just yank a flat insole out of an old pair of tennis shoes and see how that works. I know we all like our orthotics now, but for years Andy skied with an open bottom binding with his foot flat on the ski.  Length is going to be tougher. If you like the sock I would keep doing it. I ski a bit with an Italian skier (39-41 @36) and he has been using the RS1 with a sock for two seasons now. Looks funny, but if it works... 

sj

• Baller

You bring up a good point Scott. Maybe its the insert that is putting pressure on my foot in areas that I am not used to. My FM liners didn't come w/ one and I never added them.

-Rod