Crescent Bar WA ski course

• Baller_
Wow Crescent Bar Washington!!! Their used to be a couple big tournaments their in the 80's every year. They were held at a back water slough in a golf, marina, resort complex. The Kosney's and Goodmans used to put these on. What a lot of fun those tournaments weres. Back then a lot of guy's that course skied on the main parts of the river brought their own  portable courses.

I remember driving the ramp from Bellingham to Crescent Bar with the Goodmans every year for that tournament.  Set-up on Friday and break down on Monday.  Had lots of great times there including getting to watch Steve and Phil Maher try their hand at the course.  Watching Brad Potter set the boys jump record and Ron Goodman almost landing in the back of a parked boat while jumping.  There were a few dinged props too.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012074286_crescentbar10m.html

We have had a great course in the water for over 30 years accross the river behind an island.  Not in the back waters of CB where the tournaments were held.  It is located on the west side of the river (easy to find).  However this year a rouge washington fish and wildlife agent deceided to take it out.  Currently we are working with that agency for a long term solution, but as we all know the wheels of government turn very slow... 

We have put another course in, but are taking the balls off when we leave each day.  I'm hoping that we will be able to leave it in the water with no problems soon.  There will be a course for you to ski on when you come to CB in July.  Plus the water will be warm by then. 

It sure is fun to hear the stories from the tournaments at CB from back in the day.  I remember having over 100 competitors show up and most of them were 3 event skiers.  Or sitting for hours on the jump bucketing water onto the surface. 

MBSkier

I have a number of vivid memories from CB tournaments in the 70's.  Most of them can't be repeated in a family-friendly forum, but the ones that can include Don Koppert's baby eating rocks, and the unique way the tournament organizers assembled the floating course full length on shore, and then pulled it straight sideways out into the channel.

At least one year that course was built from electrical metal tubing (conduit), an idea that we ultimately found to be impractical in our own course-building efforts...

TW

Thanks all for your responses, we'll be looking for the "balls" in July and appreciate the offers guys. If we can pitch in and support the course at all, we are certainly willing to do so, I know first hand the cost of keeping a course together.

Ron

Hey Matt MbSkier

This is Andy from up at Radar Lake

looks like we are maybe heading to CB this weekend would be our first trip!! What's the water temp like right now? Looking to get some sets in on the course as well, I'll be towing the boat over is the course skiable all day?