Proper way to measure length of fin

Boody

• Baller

I measured the length of my fin according to the Goode website, see below.  You lay the caliper on the fin and use the inside edges for this measurement, this is not a Goode caliper but a regular dial caliper.  My problem is that part of the dial caliper is not a machined edge, you cannot zero it out.  Further, that gap is different on all calipers.  I tested 3 calipers this weekend to include a Goode caliper and they were all different.  You should use the lower machined area, but those numbers would be much different and not even provided.

Goode lists two sets of the numbers, one for the dial caliper and one for the Good "slot" caliper which is a fully machined edge.  I am just wondering what is the proper measurement for length and the proper way to measure.  I would assume people do NOT measure length as shown in the picture, it would be too inaccurate.  I think the answer is to use the "slot" caliper numbers for the machined edge of the my dial calipers. 

I probably totally confused everyone, sorry.  I cannot add pics for some reason.

http://www.goode.com/wstfinadj.htm

• Baller
It looks like Goode is using jaws. You are right about that being inaccurate from caliper to caliper. Tips is the best way to measure. If you call Goode, I bet he can give you length measured with the tip.

• Baller
Goode uses jaws, which IS NOT MEASURING the length of the fin. it is just a number. If they have a "tips" number, that's the length of the fin. You could set the length, then use your caliper to get the difference, then do the complicated math problem while you're shivering on the dock, or you could just measure the length with any caliper in the whole wide world.