Bent drive shaft

roda

• Baller

I have a bent drive shaft on my '05 MC 197. I think it happened when I took out a large turtle. Had the prop redone but still had some vibration so I checked and at low rpm you can see that it is not straight.

Can you have a drive shaft straightened or are you better off buying a new one?

Thanks

• Baller
There are companies that can straighten that driveshaft. Most car driveshafts need to be replaced because truing a hollow tube is next to impossible, whereas a propshaft is a piece of solid tool steel. If you're near a port or ocean, there's a good chance you can find a company that can straighten and balance that shaft.  I've used Baumman Propellors in the Houston area before. 

More than likely, buying a new one is your best bet.  I looked into having one straightened and know people who have had it done with great results.  In my case, the bend was so close to the end of the shaft that the company that was recommended to me told me that they could not get it back to the 0.002" tolerance.

• Baller_

I did see where a shop straightened one for $60, so there are options avaialble to you.  As mentioned, it is a solid shaft so it will be possible to straighten it assuming it is not too bad.

I'm not necessarily recommending this as a solution, but.....I bent the heck out of a 6 foot pry bar taking out a tree stump.  The way I straightned it was to run it over with a car/tire.  With something as exacting as a prop shaft, I don't think you'd get it straight enough, so I'd just get a new one.  I'd hate to see you wreck your transmission.

• Baller
Thanks guys. I'm in the Orlando area so if anyone knows of a shop here please pass it on. Worse case its only a $75 hit if they don't do it right and I end up going new.