Zebra Mussels

• Baller

If your water source is via irrigation and it is "infected" I'm not sure there's much you can do. Those mussels will grow in ditches, pipes, engine blocks, just about anywhere and can choke things up. The way they usually spread, though is by boats/trailers that carry the larvae from other infected waters. Don't let anyone put their boat in your lake that has been somewhere else without first cleaning the hull, trailer, bilge, and cooling system. Colorado is now enforcing this on public lakes. Here's a link...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/MandatoryBoatInspections.htm

• Baller

In Canyon Lake Ca. your boat has to be inspected or tagged (not sure) on the way out of the gates and also on the way back in. On the way out they put a special zip tie or something on the trailer eye. If that zip tie has been tampered with the security guards can tell and some how or another they either make you clean the boat and trailer or keep your boat out of the water for a period of time. Our problem is the Quaga Mussel. I'm a little un-clear of all of the details (as you can tell) I never pull my boat out of the gates so I can avoid all of these issues

• Baller
they showed up in my lake(mussels anyway, I'm assuming they're zebra) about 3 yrs ago. I have also been finding small(about one third the size of a pencil eraser) kind of translucent snail shell looking shells(empty) in the primary water strainer of my boat. I think MS said this maybe part of the life cycle of the mussel.

• Baller_

SA, yes a local tournament lake mandates a bleach / water solution purge of the circulation system of any boat coming in to that particular lake.  In addition, a bleach / water "bath" of the hull prior to launch.  An excellent policy IMO for midwestern lakes.

The classic transportation system for zebra mussels is the fisherman / recreational wally weekend drop in at any particular lake.  Many drop in boaters are not concerned about other's lake condition, so they tend to be less considerate and many times less informed about the potential problems with zebra mussels along with the fact that these mobile boaters have used numerous other lakes.  The initial effect of zebra mussels is an improvment to water clarity as they are basically a resident water filter.  The down side to the water clarity improvment is it will drastically increase the plant life growth cycle as the sunlight used for growth will be much more abundant.  As mentioned, do everything in your power to keep them out.