Mid ride shallow setup

ktm300

Sounds like Dave Miller is running a shallow setup.  Something like 2.440, not sure on the lenght or DFT. Said his boots were slightly back, but is sounds like he plays with that a lot depending on the site.  Maybe you can get in touch with him for specifics??

I went all the way to 2.400 which is where a couple of guys are skiing it. It felt amazing, but I kept blowing the tail on the offside when I got late. I kept increasing it, but never found that great shallow setting. It's worth trying, but I actually went the other direction. My Mid is arguably too small (63.75 - I'm 175#) so I added a bunch of depth and moved the fin way back. Now it is actually somewhat stable at the longer lines (28-35) and feels great at 38. Haven't run it yet on this ski, but I have been through a bunch of injuries. It's there once I am ready.

• Baller
One other thing Clemson. I skied a Warp for about three weeks. It was too soft for me. When I got the mid ride, I laid it on a table next to the Warp. Just about identical. Rocker line and all. The tail is slightly wider on the Mid and not as rounded. The blunt front of the MId is exactly where the pointy tip of the Warp is glued on. The 65" Mid is the 67" Warp with minor changes. (my opinion only) My GUESS is that all other sizes are extrapolations of the 65". If you think the 65" is a bit large for you, might want to try the soft version of it.

I have only had boots at the stock position I don't like the feel of the boots back on any ski. If I had the 65 and wanted to try shallow, I'd go 2.450, 6.80, .72. I never blew the tail at 2.450. It just was too aggressive (I'm an aggressive skier anyway). Pretty sure it is due to being borderline too short for me. btw, you can call me Dave ;-)

• Baller

Are you running double boots or open tow on the mid?

I just watched my ski bud almost run 39 on a 9900, both rounds, ran 3 nice 38's, then jump on a mid and struggled to run 38.  He has tried numerous other times as well.

the ski is extremely fast, but the big killer for him was his onside turn.  The ski would come around and then turn striaght and go down course, at any setting.  He ran his 35's okay, but we surmize it is due to his open toe binding in back.  He can't drive the tail and hold the ski on edge like the dbl boot guys.

He says it is probably the fastest ski he has ever been on.  I thought he looked very fast behind the boat making up time for so so turns at 35 off.

We could be all wet, but just our thoughts on it.

AB

This ski rips every turn, both sides for me. I had to take turn out of it and still rips. it also keeps the speed up on those hard turns like I have never felt. I'm having to learn to try turns I never thought possible. I've been late and narrow at 35 and 38, tries a turn and been early to the next ball.

• Baller
AB, the only advice I can give your friend who runs 39 is to not take advice from me. 35 is my top full pass and I have never run 38. I run a hardshell front and Wiley's rear hw that fits loose. I shallowed it to 2.460 and took out 40/1000 length. Boots back one hole. Wow it rips. Had 7* on the wing and want 8* for next ride. Taking the depth out did not hurt the offside at all and the onside loves it.

• Baller

The tail is the same width as a normal ski so with the wider middle, that would seem to put more pressure on the tail to sit deeper and not blowout, unless you jump on the front and go past the balance point and pivot on the front.

I think he was riding it down to 2.440 and it was holding. His offside was very good, just seemed to have the issue with onside rollup and then rollback.

He made up incredible time on it though, so it is defimetly a "fast" ski.