Clarify the full buoy rule please

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I read with GREAT interest the comments of skimom (in Horton's "rules" thread).  It was then stated she is a very high level judge.

It sure sounds like I don't understand the change to the full buoy rule, because I thought it was pretty clear you gotta ski away and therefore must risk taking a massive hit in some cases.  From this interpretation, this sure seemed like the worst rules change in history.  So I am quite excited to know that I may have misunderstood!

On the other hand, bmiller's confusion of skimom's new explanation is also shared by me.

skimom -- can you provide some detail, please?  References and examples would also be great.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

• Baller

Not Skimom but a senior judge who happens to have the rule book open in another window.

10.12 c) 1 point when the skier has crossed the line of the gate buoys before passing the level of the next buoy (or the end gate in the case of the final buoy) with a tight line under the power of the boat without falling.

The intent of the tight line is to ensure the safety of the skier. This means that if the skier can only cross the line of the buoys with a slack line then he will not get the full point so there is no reason to try that. The end gate case is different because of the spacing and thus if the skier can cross the gate line before the end gate buoy and ski away he will be awarded the full buoy.

Eric

• Supporting Member

Thanks!

I assume the second part is your interpretation of the rule?  Or is that in the rule book?  That's not at all the way I interpretted that rule when I first read it.  You seem to be say "tight before crossing" which I must admit is a possible interpretation of the text, but in my opinion not the most obvious one.

I think everyone I've ever talked to about this has misunderstood this rule.  I appreciate any further clarification that anyone can provide and then I'll go on a little re-education campaign here in the northeast!  We literally ALL thought this rule was making it far MORE likely for a skier to hurt himself or herself.

• Baller

I think the rule is simple: if the skier has slack in the rope when crossing the line of the gate buoys, score is 1/2 a buoy.

Corollary of the rule for AB's and ShaneH's buoys: Wife has to give some slack to be able to use AB's practice buoys. 

RAL, you are allowed to take the hit inside the boat guides after 6 ball. All the others, like you mention, you must have a tight line before getting to the boat guides.

That brings up one that I bet is missed all the time. Skier rounds 6 ball, skis back to behind the boat with a slack line, tries to take the hit, but the handle fires out of his hands. Score is 6 with no continuation.

My history may be incorrect, but my understanding is that IWSF adopted the new rule because skiers hitting the boat was becoming an issue. The new rule also reflects the difference in quality of skiing between someone that can get back to the wakes and someone that can get into spitting distance of the next buoy. When we saw the new rule come down my skiing cohort thought that it operated using the "It won't count, so don't go there," principal: not the best way with tournament blinders on. Back in 2005, there was a clip of Parrish skiing 2 @43' (not an approved record) using the old rules. Pull all the way to two, ride that momentum back to the wakes, wave the handle and pitch the slack away. I've looked but I can't find it.

OK, I guess I am busted.  Was off skiing with the ghost skier this weekend trying to find the elusive 6 ball-no luck!

I am not a big poster on message boards, but I do read them.

I would like to make sure that everyone understands the rules.  Maybe not everyone agrees with them but at least have an understanding of why they have been put in place.  In answer to these questions, several people are correct.  The safety of the skier was a major factor.  Having sat in the boat watching several skiers end up next to the boat trying to get into the buoy line to score a full buoy we realized that this could be a major safety issue.  Also for the boat crew when the skier had to hold on to an enormous amount of slack and having the handle fly into the boat.

Most of the pros understand the rule and are either doing the zigzag to get the full buoy or waiting just outside the boat guides with more control and coming in with a tight line.  I think that the rule has not been understood and this is a great opportunity to get the information out to skiers.

One other issue is the exit gates and the verdict is still out.  Both rule books state "and ski away" there has been an interpretation of 6 no continuation but at the rules committee meeting we will be trying to make it more understandable, which ever way that goes.

the Hot Girlfriend

(thanks Horton for the nickname)

• Supporting Member

THANKS hot girlfriend.  (That *is* a pretty sweet nickname.)

I am so happy about this, for two huge reasons: 1) The new rule is NOT encouraging injury.  2) My sport's rules governors are NOT insane!!

I've been really scratching my head about this one for the last couple of seasons.  Can't believe I never found the right person to ask!!