Elite binding and fin settings

Jody_Seal

• Baller_

Need some numbers from any of you riding the Elite. I have a 67.5 and left foot forward, 34mph skier 28-35 off. This ski has no inserts so suggested binding placement numbers also would be great, I am in the ball park. Initally the ski really rockets off and accelerates well and slows down to start the pre turn but I can not seem to finnish the turn without a whole lot of tip rise and any decent angle out of the ball.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jody

• Baller

Length    Fin    Front Binding    DFT    Length    Depth    Wing    DFT Style

67           Stock     29.25         0.785      6.85      2.49    9    

Here are Bruce Butterfeilds #' from another post67 Elite settings:Bindings 29.25L 6.898D 2.512DFT 0.78 flatAndy's settingsL 6.850DFT 0.79 flat

• Baller

Jody,

I am using Dawg's numbers.  See below.  Almost the same as AM's.  I am also LFF, have a 67 2011 layup, and ski 34mph into -38.  Only skied it 4 sets before an injury ended my season, but loved it!

6.837(tips), 2.509-2.511 range, .781-.7835 depending on water temp, 8 deg.  Bindings 29.5

• Baller

Hi Jody I am LFF about 200 lbs skiing the same line lengths as you.  I started with Mapple's length number (6.837) but am currently at 2.51, 6.848, .79 and wing at 8.  Ski really perked up with the longer fin length gliding much better improving my gates significantly.  I see Butterfields numbers are a little longer and deeper than mine so I am going to give them a try to see if it helps to keep me from overturning my onside.  Also getting along real well with A2 on ZO. 

I am using Strada bindings on a sequence plate.  My plate has a white mark that I thought represented the front heel location but I find that puts me too far forward.  I think I am only a hole or two from being all the way back with my current settings.

• Baller_

To all that threw up their settings thank You. The Elite that I have is way to stiff for me as it was built special for a 250# man. It was a rocket ship off the ball but My 198# could not get the ski to bend enough in the tail to turn and finnish. Back on the old tried and true SixAm-2point. In the spring I would like try another correct size Elite but I am not sure I am going to pony up the $$$$ for one, very pricey!!!

Thanks again.

Jody

• Baller

Jody,

Don't give up on the "insert-less" Elite.  In my opinion, ski stiffness has almost nothing to do with the ability of a ski to finish the turn.  Fin and binding settings are what control tail slide.  (Ignoring the effects of concavity and bevels in the tail area, which can also be changed.  But, these changes are not for the "faint of heart".)  I would suggest trying MattP's settings  - i.e. a little more tip and a little less depth than the Andy Mapple baseline.

I have enclosed a picture of Chris Rossi (taken from RADARs 2009 portfolio), with a couple of added lines, to illustrate tail slide in a turn

• Baller_
This is a late 2009 model and again was laid up for a big guy wanting to get back into tournament skiing, he could not ski on it and loaned it to me to try as at the time I was approaching 220 pounds. Any way it sat on the shelf here at the shop until last week. I am starting to feel strong enough again to try something else ski wise so thought I would give this ski a ride. As for the flex numbers I would wager to say that I have a 68" steel I Beam that has more flex in it than this Elite! To me this is a very high quality ski but I  would rather spend time on a ski that is more suited for my needs and skill level. Keep in mind for tha last 12 years I skied on Obrien products and thanks to Andy have taken my skiing up a notch over the years. Still would like to try a smaller and softer version of the Elite maybe something will come up in the spring!