What makes us better skiers?

skiray

What makes us better skiers?  I think it is adapting to innovation.  Think about everything that has changed in the last 30 years.  (Adjustable fins, composite skis, stronger engines, better binders, cruise control and more cruise control.)  Each gave us an opportunity to increase consistency.  Each eliminated skiers that could not adapt.  All resulted in evolved technique and higher performance.  I have cussed ZO as much as the next guy.  However, after having it on my boat for about a year, I can honestly say it is making me a better skier.  It is pushing me to become more efficient and a smoother skier. (I’m even motivated to loose about 15 pounds.)  Can you say the same?  Once we get over the ZO hostile take over of the tournament cruise control world, will we one day agree that we are better for it?

• Baller

I am not a ZO basher but I do have to say that anything that forces a competitor to buy a 50K boat is bad for the sport. I have had a few descent rides behind ZO but not as good as PP. My boat is a 2000 MC with 1 1/2 to 1, 4 blade tractor. Not an easy boat to ski behind. It feels better than ZO. I cannot see a benefit to ZO. Why should a light skier have an easier time than a heavy skier. I don't get it.

I ski better at 36 than 34, so I am odd. I wish I could pick up the pass everyone else says you gain when you slow down. I don't think being lighter on the line should have anything to do with how many buoys you run. HQ allowed a horrible thing to happen with this whole ZO mess. In general, I don't believe you can compete unless you practice behind it often. 

• Baller
Disagree, too.  I ski classic PP 90% of time, a little bit of stargazer, and an occasional ZO.  Scores same on all, including tourneys, and best run of the season on ZO (practice PB).  I was a 215 lb bruiser...much easier now that I'm 185 and trying to be light on the line.  Not only better scores, but I believe my aging body will last longer in the sport.

I hear what you are saying about being forced down the ZO road and no there should not be benefit based on a skiers weight.  What I do believe is that ZO is moving technique in a direction that is good for the sport.  (A direction that would not be possible if we didn't have the equipment that we have access today.) As far as weight is concerned, I think the ski designs are getting closer to leveling the field.  Let's face it, heavy weights had an advantage before cruise control.  They had a slight advantage on PP.  Once the dust settles with ZO and ski designs, I suspect the advantage will be with those who can refine their technique. 

By the way, $50k is not required.  I've got a 2006 CC 196 that I converted for $4k. (upgraded electronics and ZO)  It is my understanding that a conversion can be done on boat's as old as 2002.

• Baller
I did my 02 196 myself this spring for 3K. The conversion was easy with directions and phone/email coaching from Tim White at Inboardsolutions LLC, when I wanted to discuss something. Oh, I am not a gearhead. Entire operation was remove this part and replace with that part.

My '04 Indmar is NOT capable at any price. (short of all new electronics, new Motor, etc...)

Maybe better (efficient) technique in the course is a Good thing. But at what cost? -what is the Cost vs. Benefit ratio? Not to mention, after we screw around wasting How many thousand$ on different ski's trying to find "Just the Right one", ZO upgrades, (for those who's Boats can be upgraded) or New (er) Boats, etc... Can the overall cost sincerely be justified?

Meanwhile, we still have a Blatant disadvantage to far too many skiers who are too Big or CAN NOT afford to keep up with the spoiled Jones' with new Ski's, upgrades or new Boats... (sounds a lot like somthing our Gov. might try to mandate or the great thinking behind the Banking fallout.) Is this a Healthy step Fwd. for our Sport? 

There just ain't Nothing Efficient about ZO! -wait a minute, They are "efficiently Killing" or wounding a Large segment of a very small sport...   

Back on topic, I think "outside the Box" thinking is what will help push the edge of the envelope. WTS, every little effort to adapt, change or advance our equip. and our technique will help to improve our sport slowly,    -inches at a time. The Human Spirit will ultimately drive the improvements Mentally and Physically.

Information is surely the Biggest asset to us in our present time. Can you even imagine where most of us might be, -Void of ALL the Great info. and vid's on the Web????  

• Baller

h2odawg79 wrote "...Information is surely the Biggest asset to us in our present time..."

The theme of this thread is to discuss what potentially can make us better skiers, correct?  Dawg's statement quoted above nailed it IMO but I have to depart from his context.  This sport, like pretty much any other sport, has a handful of basic concepts (fundimentals if you prefer) that you have to have a grip on and an understanding of if you want to accel in the sport.  Until you get a grip on what those basic tenets are and how to employ them into your performance you're basically floundering around, much as I did when I was learning how to ski and before all the current info was available to the general skiing public.  Otherwise you end up having to unlearn a bunch of misinformation and bad habits and relearn how to do things correctly if you want to actually become a good skier.

So how to gain that knowledge, that information?  IMO the best, most efficient way to do that is to find a coach you connect with who understands where you're coming from and who can relay that knowledge to you in a manner that you can both understand and assimilate.  Or in my case can dumb it down enough until I get it.  Sure there is a lot of great information being passed around on this and other message boards (most of it well intended but too much of which IMO is just plain wrong), but ultimately I believe that the most efficient way to gain useable knowledge and quickly put that into a form you can use to make immediate improvements in your skiing is to find a pro coach who can do that for you.  Outside the box thinking may work for some but I believe that for the vast majority, 1) identifying the basic concepts that you need to master and 2) being taught the methodology required to assimilate those concepts into your skiing, are what ultimately seperate the Big Dogs (the really good skiers) from the rest of us.  One opinion.

Ed  

• Baller

Sorry for getting off thread topic above. 

I agree w/Ed, though it may not require a pro coach perse, but skiing w/another skier who is also chasing proper understanding. 

Both my brother and I, after years of skiing wrong like bulls, have come to some understanding of proper skiing.  We don't ski together all the time, but talk every couple of days...usually about theory and physics of the course...what is working and why.  We have had a few pro coaching sessions over the years, but have learned the most from analyzing videos of pro skiers to figure out what they are doing that we are not.  The more we ski together and cross-coach, the better we get.

My brother has the edge on me, though we are quite close in scores.  We have video of all of our runs in P'cola tourney (6 each), and it was clear to me by comparison from same carmera angle some things he does better than me.  These issues have been my focus since that time and it is paying off.  I'd love to catch him, but even cooler would be I get to his level and he gets that much better as well...he feels the same.  Very much a team process for us...mutual respect with both of us thinking there are extra rope lengths ahead if we keep this up.  Little by little, tweak by tweak, analysis by analysis...this is what makes me better.       

Agreed... Info. like practice is not enuf. Perfect practice makes perfect, as does Perfect info. So, I guess proper info. mangement would be in line for sure. i.e. How so many run out and buy the new flavor of the Month Ski, just because of all the Buzz on the Forums! (then sell it off within 3-6 months!!!) Better info. management would sure help...

My "outside the Box" thinking idea is not so much for the also runs or the sheep who follow, as much as it is for the true Leaders and inovators of our Sport who are Not affraid to step up and step out with new Equip., techniques and Theories and Ideas, -pushing against the dusty ill fated status quo...

The "Basic concepts" imo, is the "Basic foundation" and are Vital, but do not push the envelope of progression. My above post was aimed more at what makes us progress and evolve as Skiers and as a Sport....   

• Baller

You guys are all wrong. The site is critical. Manmade lakes with perfect conditions allow us to stress over minute fin adjustments or trivial speed control differences. If we want to expand the sport we need more people on private sites. If we want to improve our personal performance we need more quality time on quality water. Does anybody want to buy a ski lake?!!

Eric

• Baller
I've personally watched a skier from our area progress over the years until he is currently ranked #10 nationally in M3 and #2 in the SR.  He is obviously a student of the sport and a good observer.  Other than the above mention of laying down the basics,  honing his skill comes from lots of water time.    He tries to ski every day in the late evening just prior to dark, after most everyone has left.  He skis on a public lake with SG and is over 200 lbs.  So he has learned what it takes to perform with whatever system. So you can't discount water time.