P90X

ktm300

• Baller
Because flexibility is my current biggest issue, I am thinking of doing this program. I think I would want to add some squats and deadlifts to it for power. There appears to be only one leg day per week. For those who have done it, what do you think? What does it lack in terms of strength and power? As it is 6 days a week, tuff to add anything else to it. Thanks.

• Baller

I have done the program once start to finish ,two winters ago, and have been sprinkling in the workouts for the past 1.5 years to supplement other training.  I plan to do a complete program again this winter starting in late December.

My recommendation is to wait a week or two after you start before you add anything to the program. Plyo's and yoga are both pretty leg intensive so you might be hurting yourself by adding those exersizes to the mix. It is a pretty difficult program for anyone even if you are in pretty good shape to start with.  

In general, I think the program is a really well balanced fitness program.  You are probably not going to end up improving your bench or squat max when it is all over.  However, you will have a lower body fat percentage, good cardio, stronger all-around, and be more flexible than when you started.

Legs go three times a week

The yoga is mostly isometric. Lots of luge like stances that you stay down in for around 40 to 60 seconds at a time. 

The plyometrics is a cardio heavy, leg workout. You aren't going to feel like you are lifting heavy, never the less, your legs will be worked over.

There is also the legs & back workout. Lots of squats, lots of lunges. A couple of isometric wall squats. I'd say about half of the excercises give you the option to lift heavy if you're up for it: the other half is body weight and mostly single-leg.  

If you workout at home, the yoga and plyo is pretty good to hold in your back pocket even if you don't care for the rest of the program. The focus is on performance over time. The workouts take between an 1 and 1 1/2 hours, with very brief rest periods. If you want to go heavy, lift three sets, and be done, it won't be that appealing.

• Baller

The best thing about the program is that he stresses that you keep track of the weight you use and that you go at your own pace. If you find that your legs aren't getting the workout you wantjust add more weight when needed. I couldn't imagine adding any more squats or dead lifts. I couldn't walk for weeks after I started as it was...

• Baller
plyo should get your legs burning pretty good. I have done P90x 4x all the way through, I love it. Its the bet all body workout. I go to Bennetts in May and without skiing very much before hand Im able to slalom 4 sets a day for a week by doing this program before hand. Get ready cuz it will beat you down