Slalom skis for kids

Donski

My 11 year old daughter finally decided slalom skiing is more fun than wakeboarding. I am looking for an entry level ski for her and it appears there are not a lot of options. Anybody have any experience with the junior skis and any recommendation?

My experience was put them on a longer ski 66/67 inch. Reason keeps them from dipping the tip when they do challenge the wake. My son & daughter starting at age 4/5 were on a 66.75 Goode 9800 (pink moms ski). The girl is 8 now and still rides it and has progressed to 28mph on it. I beleive now  is time to get her on a 65.25. The boy is 5 and makes a full pass on it at 14 mph....although the pink ski has challenged his manley hood at the dock so he to will be getting a 65.25 orange ski....He perferred the 67 HO truth with the skull graphics but in a controlled test he deffinetly did better on the Goode 9800. Point being put her on one of your old Hi end skiis till progression warrants a ski of her own. Although it is nice traveling  with only 2 skiis plus you can bark at them when they don't respect your equipment.

• Baller

A 42" trick ski is perfect for a kid wanting to move up from a wakeboard. Just speed up as they grow.

Slalom ski? Walleye is right. Mom's slalom ski will work until they run enough buoys to earn their own ski.

Walleye, Terry Winter makes graphics that can cover up that unmanly pink. He can choose a skin to his liking and still have the performance he is used to.

Eric

• Baller

I put my kids on a 63" HO Odyssey which is in their wide ride series of skis when they were just starting to ski the course. My son skied that ski up until he was running into 30 mph long line then I moved him to a 65.5" D3X5. My daughter hasn't been as into skiing the slalom course and I had her on a Connely Mid LX but am going to move her onto a more traditional ski this year.

I have the HO still in the shed if you are interested let me know. Depending on how big their feet are I probably have a front binding for it also.

• Baller
Eric, I still own that beautiful pink and don't really want to change the graphics.  At least for now, I still have a higher bouy count than him so if he wants to use my ski he will have to live with the pink.  http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-kiss.gif

I started on a 66" when I was 8 or so and rode the same ski for many years. I don't think the size of the ski was much of an issue but the boot and the toe plate were too far apart for me so my back leg was always up on the ball of the foot. If you end up going with a larger ski be sure to accommodate her smaller stance.

Thanks guy’s sounds like I should put my money into bindings that fit her and let her ski on one of my old skis. I have a D3 X5 66" just lying around. What do you think about the way the higher end skis like to hunt for an edge? Might seem intimating for a beginner coarse skier? Actually at 18 mph the ski would probably be pretty stable?

• Baller
At slow speeds I don't think it will hunt but I never put my kids on a full size ski until I got the 65" X5 for my son and he was running 30 mph then. At the slower speeds the turns don't really matter anyway it is all about the angle and pull.

I have seen alot young kids use the wide rides and they seem to work well also.....I didn't have a wide ride and didn't want to fork any cash over for one. The main point is I don't recommend buying a hi end 62/63 inch ski and have them charge the monster 15 mph wake....Then dive the tip and take a face plant. Then you got trouble. You can ruin a good horse if you spook it.

• Administrators

Holy Crap that is a good looking ski.

Zap.... I love you but does Eddie know you are showing that off. I am not saying that it is a secret project that I am a part of but Shhhh