Waterski bag for 2 skis

Ali

• Baller

Looking for a waterski bag/case for travelling by air. Need to get 2 slalom skis and some gear in it. Also need something that does not cause problems with size with the airlines.

What do you recommend?

Ali

I have a Sporttube case.  I have flown with it and had zero issues.  They are available at Performance.  I'm not sure what the options  are on the website.  Mine has wheels.  I would not get one without wheels.  The last time I used it, I took two skis, two vests, two shorties, gloves and a rope/handle.

• Baller

I bought a Burton snowboard bag like this one http://www.perfski.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=5ef7113a-9131-4081-993e-013d77f55d73&item_guid=6253944c-ffb2-22af-26e6-a5d70cb323ff.

I found it on eBay for a lot less.  If you look for padded snowboard or ski bags there are a lot of options out there.  I have used a Sportube before as well and you can fit a couple of slalom skis in there and some gear.  You need to watch the weight though.

Here is a Burton for $130 right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/BURTON-SNOWBOARDS-185cm-WHEELIE-LOCKER-/320648118071?pt=Snowboarding&hash=item4aa81dff37

You need something about 180cm to fit a 69" ski.

• Administrators

Tadd at H20z sells a Dakine bag I really like. Fits a few skis plus vests ropse and other crap. Price was not bad last time I looked. Tell the airlines it is snow ski gear... possible less chance of getting a big up charge

• Administrators

I am going to have to do that this year..... More money....

If you watch the http://oakleyvault.com/catalog?N=7+12 Every few months the they discount a snowboard bag that is HUGE. I think I have had two of them.... How do I lose ski bags? I know where one went.....

• Baller

Make sure you keep the total weight under 50 lbs.  The airlines will charge you for overweight if it runs over that.  Most airlines have specific rules with regards to skis and similar; most consider them regular checked baggage despite the extra length but some will really hammer you so do your homework.  Southwest for one doesn't charge extra, unless it's overweight.  Most airlines web sites will have specifics on what qualifies and what the charges are if you dig through their web sites enough.

Ed

• Baller

American Airlines and Jet Blue take water skis at no additional fees. For Jet Blue the first bag is free for AA I think it is $25. You need to keep it under $50 pounds though. For me I think I got a couple of slalom skis, a trick ski and a couple of vests plus some handles and towels in there.

That Dakine at $99 looks like a good deal.

If it's not a hard sided bag, they will not pay for damage or breakage. I have used the sport tube for years and never had an issue. Keep the weight at or under 50 lbs. Southwest does not charge for oversized bags used for skiequipment like others do.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_12

Snow or water skis are accepted when enclosed in a suitable container. Southwest Airlines provides free plastic bags for ski equipment. These bags are used to prevent the various components of ski equipment from becoming separated. The skis will be conditionally accepted unless they are being transported in a hard, plastic case or standard ski bag. Snow ski equipment consists of one pair each of skis, ski poles, and boots. Water-ski equipment includes one pair of skis and one life preserver or vest. Snowboard equipment includes one snowboard and one pair of boots. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately. (Overweight charges may still apply.)

• Baller
Go with the sport tube, they are tough enough for almost any baggage handler. I think I have the size that is designed for snowboards. I was able to fit 3 skis and a set of bindings in mine after an expensive 2006 nationals. 2 will be no problem, especially if there are releasable bindings.

• Baller_
SportTube is the way to go. Have used one for years. It's adjustable to size and lockable. Have also rapped pipe insulation around the edge of the entire ski. Along with towels, vest, and some clothes stuffed around the ski with a good fin protector, it's bullet proof. Tip the curbside check-in sky cab guys a little extra (if there's one available) and they will sometimes ignore the airline policy. They've even skipped the weight check. With all the things you can stuff in there, 50lbs is easy to go over.