More about Props and the 200

rwskier

• Baller

Hey Guys,

Had the chance to put or spare prop on the 200 this week. After several skiers have been behind the boat we all agree that the pull feels better as well.

Heres how the rpms work out with the different props:

12.5 x14.25                                   12.5 x 15.5

30 mph                                  3200                                              3020

32 mph                                  3480                                              3225

34 mph                                  3800                                              3550

36 mph                                  4125                                              3775

all without a skier and 1 person in the boat. it seemed to add about 150 - 200 rpm with a skier. now it s time to she how th e fuel consuption goes.

Russell

• Baller

Scoke, the 14.25  is the Acme 1868 and the 15.5 is the Acme 422.

We saw similar baseline numbers on our 200 with those props. One thing we noticed is that the 1868 added more rpm with the skier than the 422. 

With the 1868 pulling Mueller at 36 we'd see 4600rpm and with the 422 we'd see 4050.  Pulling Mike Munn at 34mph I'd see 4350rpm with the 1868 and 3900 with the 422.  Both are HARD pullers directly behind the boat.

• Baller_

Russell, Sorry I am confused. Which prop was preferred by the skiers? the 1868 0r the 422?

I see Similar results with my 6 liter and a 422 and because having the extra HP I can even get the RPM's At slalom speeds lower yet with the OJ 13X15.5  and with plenty of extra HP available to boot! We even run the OJ on a day to day basis.

I have been doing some prop testing with OJ and have even run a 14" Dia prop's on my boat that really evened out the RPM Scale vs speed, down side is that we have not had time to ski them yet.

Jody

• Baller

Jody,

we seem to prefer the 422 over the 1868. It seems to be a soferter pull than the 1868, which makes sense with the lower RPMs. Keeping in mind that our water is still 43-45 degrees. not exactly the best time of year to be testing real ski conditions.

Even with the 422 there seems to be no lack of power with our 343 hp engine.

Russell

• Baller

Jody,

The prop on my 2011 200 409 is 12.5 X 15 Acme 654. I would like to see what a 14 X 16 would do with the 409. I believe I had that on a Mastercraft Powerslot years a go. With as much power as the 409 has, that may be the perfect solution. Let me know how your tests turn out.

Thanks,   Ed

• Baller_

Because of the decreased distance of the tip of the 14" blade vs the bottom of the boat on the 200 we seem to pick up a harmonic noise that reverberates thru the hull. We have cut the blade dimension down to 13.5 and the noise went away. Keep in mind MasterCraft can utilize a 14" because of the small pocket in the hull in front of the rudder also their shaft angle is near 16*. As far as running a 14X16 I think that the extra pitch will be to much and will impact out of the hole acceleration. I think the 14 we ran was pretty square as it was near 14 pitch.

• Baller
I had a 422 that I tried last year.  It brought down the rpm's a lot on my 2010 with the 343.  I ski on a tight lake and getting up to speed was no problem.  I'm not sure there's a lot of difference there.  The prop seemed to handle very well, I liked it better than the 14.25.  I used it for just a week or two earlier in the year when I was just getting in shape using wetsuit, etc.. So I can't give an objective opinion on how it feels from the rope end.  I thought why would I buy the latest equipment and change it to where it will be different than I am using in tournaments.  So I switched back.  I believe that it will be a different pull especially for those that get into the boat hard, which is me for sure.  I would recommend the 422 as a better prop except for the issue is that it is not going to be the same in a tournament.