Video front Page BOS

Jody_Seal

• Baller

Good stuff, I'm pretty sure I see Kris and Bob Lapoint (that ski Kris is riding looks pretty small). Is that Mike Suyderhoud in the red jump helmet? Who are the other skiers. This is taking it back a little ways. That Hydrodyne and the nautique were very, very small back in the day.

• Baller

I'm pretty sure that is Suyderhoud.  Take a look at the angle he takes into the first wake on those little jump skis. 

Can you imagine all the bitching we'd hear if any of us had to ski behind those old boats.  Maybe for the ballers bash we need to find a 68-73 MC or CC for one round. :)

• Baller
Jumper in red helmet was BLP. I love the "hippy athlete" look - long hair, beards, but athletic and strong. Suyderhoud had to be in there somewhere, but couldn't tell exactly where. Blond tricker was Russ Stiffler (?) Tan tricker w/ speedo (common tricker attire back then) was Carlos Suarez (?) KLP was obvious as was BLP slaloming.  

• Baller

BLP was a pretty dang good jumper - like 170s back when the record was 180. Think he jumped until the mid-1980s. He took same bad crashes, though. Once reportedly bruised his heart on a bad out the front. That might've been Suyderhoud at about 0:46 going out the front. Guy was wearing a sling on his left arm, which Mike did.

Great athletes on primitive equipment (not at the time). Look how damn small those jump skis were. Seriously there are powder skis bigger than that now. Thing that impressed me was how solid and smoothe KLP looked. BLP looked good, too, but a little more radical. Let's see - in '73 I was 15, so BLP must've been about 17 or 18 and KLP maybe 19 or 20 or so? Something like that.

• Administrators

This is a note my mom wrote:

Dr. Jack Horton is so pleased to have this film resurrected for all to see. Our thanks to my brother, Ned and his wife Michele, for transferring this to DVD and for work on color correction, as the original had deteriorated significantly. I hope many will view and enjoy the 'good old days' at Horton Lakes.

• Baller_
So right after the first slalom skier falls you get a glimps of the driver. Why does he have a surgical mask on? Love the VW vans and old truck campers in the background giving that extra groovy feeling. How hard was it to keep a Dyne going straight with a slolam skier in tow?? And does anyone else feel woosified with our Clincher gloves, hard shell boots, back brace vests, protective eye wear, skies that are "forgiving", and flat flat wakes?

That is a great video Horton. By far the coolest ski video I have seen in a long time. I can not believe how well they rip on the equipment available back in the day.

One of my friends is restoring his single owner 1976 CC. If he finish's putting it back together in time I could bring it to the Baller's Bash.

Watching that video reminded me of skiing behind it when it was brand new.

Awesome video...  

• Baller
That was really cool JTH! My first tournament was behind a hydrodyne! Can't remember if it was OB or IO though. Other boat there was Dave Sauciers magenta and orange Mastercraft. Really intimidating looking boats in the morning light and fog at Sauciers Lake X. Many memories there over the years. Got to watch George Athans, Camille and Sammy Duval, to name just a few. I always thought an antique ski boat round would be awesome fun just for kicks. I owned a 72 Hydrodyne IO for 20 years. Not as hard to drive as it looks, just different.