Anyone ever repair a molded handle

skibug

• Baller
I have an ARS handle that has had the rubber molding tear off to the point where I had to cut it back.  Has anyone ever taken on the challenge of remolding it.  It doesn't have to be pretty, just effective.  See my attached images.

• Baller

Kona, it only has a few months on it and it is still structurally good.  The only issue is the protective molding.  The other problem is that, as far as I know, HO has discontinued the Custom ARS handle line and I really like it.  I ordered an ARS from Intow; but, it doesn't seem to be strung the same way.  I can physically rotate the rope around the handle ends.  I haven't skied it yet; so, I am reserving comment on the performace of it until I do.

I have repaired/restrung dozens of handles.  At times I've had to scavenge two to make one (end caps, grommet covers etc) but it works.  If you can get caps or end protectors, even better.  I "unassembled" broken or frayed handles to learn how they were strung,  took notes of dimensions  and made drawings fror reference.  Various types of ropes tie up differently and dictate  'learning curves'.  Old-style, hollow aluminum knitting needles in various sizes make nice splicing fids.  If I can do it, anyone can!  Being careful, using hot water to soften the plastic, and building a 'jig' from scrap lumber are the only other tips you need.  Spectra-type ropes lasts longest, but are pricey, and many skiers don't really care for it as it's "shockey"  (no stretch to it) and can be hard on elbows or other joints.  If it hasn't been skied on, and knots set, you can restring a handle with the long line section from your (or a 'donated'...) ski rope.  Almost "free"...  Beta test a practice handle first!

Learning the knots is good practice anyway.  Ski ropes are way more consistent these days, but sooner or later you will encounter one out-of-spec-  maybe yours or maybe at a tournament, as a Chief Judge.  As a CJ or Tech Controller, I prefer tournament ropes, all be very close (like plus/minus 1/2"- (1.5 cm?)) to same dimension, same maunfacturer, same type rope etc.