Used Stargazer

jjackkrash

• Baller

I need to get speed control for an older mechanical-throttle boat. There are a lot of used Stargazer systems out there for DBW boats. Can these systems be made to work for a mechanical throttle with the purchase of another piece of hardware, or are they totally useless for a mechanical throttle? If so, what additional piece of hardware do I need? Thanks in advance,

Jack

• Baller

I'm pretty sure Jack that the DBW and mechanical throttle versions of SG are completely different setups.  One won't work for the other and vice versa.  If you could find a used PP Classic setup you could add SG to that for around $500 I believe.  Might save a few bucks over buying the entire thing new.

Ed

If you find a multiline gauge used, it will work.  Obviously, the magnet smart timer will work.  The DBW module will not work, nor will the wiring harness for a DBW.  Obviously, throttle linkage isn't part of the DBW package and is somewhat boat brand specific as to length IIRC.  The reason you don't see too many mechanical SG packages out there is because those boats aren't updating to ZO.

• Baller

Thanks guys.

E.Tx.Skier, so, because I have am American Skier, the throttle linkage on a used unit might not work? It seems like the length from the hammer to the engine on a mid-mounted boat would be pretty standard. Shoot, I am thinking I'll just call perfect pass and pay the money.

• Baller

Call Tim White at 334-301-2729.  He just helped me convert my 1998 205 Mastercraft LT1 to PP Stargazer.  I paid a little less than going directly through PP and Tim was able to give me some good advice about the conversion.  For example Tim recommended that I go with the Wake Edition (and not 3 event) since the LT1 doesn't always like Stargazer at low speeds.  You cannot use a DBW system for a non DBW boat.  Also, the comment by Richard about too much throttle at the start is accurate.  I've started my season two weeks ago and the speed just didn't feel "right"  Like any good skier I immediately blamed my wife for the bad speeds :) but we finally figured out that she needed to run the throttle up slower - and that fixed the problem.  I'll get my 2007 196 back next week after converting to ZO from Stargazer so we'll see how that conversion feels.................

• Baller
I dropped the American Skier in the water at Broho last night for a water test and it ran like a champ so i called Tim White this morning and the Stargazer is on its way. I am pretty stoked to get back on the water. Thanks for the input fellas.

E.Tx.Skier, so, because I have am American Skier, the throttle linkage on a used unit might not work? It seems like the length from the hammer to the engine on a mid-mounted boat would be pretty standard. Shoot, I am thinking I'll just call perfect pass and pay the money.[\i]

This info is a little late, but I recall a few brands needing different cable lengths. I have had cables bind up if they weren't perfectly level at the linkage. So there may be pretty precise measurements involved.