Dual Lock release question

sharkster

Hi there,

I am skiing since about a year on a Double Strada/G10/Dual Lock set-up. I am using two stripes of 250/250 transparent. While I absolutely love the set-up, I changed the stripes just recently as you guys here on the forum suggested for better security, it's better to change them once a year. 

Thing is: I chould hardly get the plate off the ski! Only when I started destroying the tape with a screw driver was I able to get the plate off. Since I need the plate to release, I am scared that this won't work properly when needed. FYI, did not have one single fall during the season where a release would have been needed. 

Since I already use the minimum amount of tape, is there something I did wrong?For eyample, should I take the plate off once a month to ensure proper releasability? 

The ski has been used for 4 weeks in salt water, rest was sweet.

Thanks for your advise, will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sharkster

ps: My level is 55/14 into 13

• Baller_

Sharkster,

I read on this forum somewhere to use a drum stick (hard wood won't break) slid between the plate and ski after u prie the front up. Wii Rock Band drum stick works well. There should be more than enough sticking out each side to grab ahold of. Position yourself behind the ski and pull back the stick from front to back like a zipper. Works very well and almost as easy as an actual zipper. No damage to interlock. I prie the front up with the claw of a hammer and a towel wadded up beteen the hammer and ski. Very little damage to interlock as well. I use a combo of 250 to 400 interlock so prieing up that first few inches to get the stick under is the hardest part. If u have an extra person to place the stick while u prie up the plate it is much easier. Good luck.

Hey Wish,

thanks for your tips to get the plate off!

However, the real worry I have is that the plate won't release when I need it to, as it was so difficult to seperate the two. But since this is my release system for an OTF fall, I want to make sure it does release. And since I already use the minimum amount of tape, I cannot cut back on that!

So my questions is: Do I need to do anything during the season the make sure it will release properly?

Cheers

• Baller

IMO if your Dual-lock/G-10 plate is properly fastened in a serious OTF you will release from the double Strada boots first.

I lace mine quite tight and have come out cleanly on a couple of yard sales. Clean release also with striking the buoy a few times. Both feet stay in most of the time when stuffing the tip out of the offside. 

The Strada's are designed pretty well with regard to release when worn properly. I would think if your G-10 separates first; such a set-up might be a bit precarious.

• Baller_
Sharkster, this stuff is really hard to separate from the ski by hand (almost impossible) even with a tool. Its like a snow ski binding. If your able to grab the snow ski boot by hand or with a leverage tool, pull as in an OTF and it releases it's way way to loose of a binding setting and would pop after the first turn. When testing a snow ski set up you put your foot in and lean forwad till it pops. It takes a great deal of lean and pressure to get them to do this. The more extreme skiing like mogals the tighter the settings. A tremendous amount of force is applied to the interlock system in a fall. I think it will release when u need it. IMHO The only other thing u could do is use less but semantical amounts. That involves trial and error and error means prerelease when you dont want to. Ouch!! Your using the recommended minimum. Taking it on and off wares it out which is why its recomeneded you change it once a year. Good luck.