A1 vs 2011 Strada

WIskier

I was wondering which ski you guys like better an A1 or the 2011 Strada? What are the real main differences between the two, and which is less forgiving and an easier ski to use? Also is there a specific style skier these skis target? Thanks.

• Baller
My ski partner bought the A1 and I bought the strada. I ski into 35off at 36 and he was at 22off at 34. The A1 felt like a log to me. It was slow and I didnt like how it achieved its angle. It took alot more effort to ski on and if you werent on the front of the ski it wouldnt turn. It carved a good turn and is stable but thats about it. If I was running late I couldnt catch up. The strada imo is faster, turns quicker and is just as stable. I feel I can do alot more on the strada. My ski partner tried my ski and he thought it was faster and just easier to ski on with less effort. He had the A1 for one year and now has the strada.

• Baller

The stock binding position on the A1 puts a ton of ski edge in the water. The ski will develop so much angle, and consequently so much load, that it feels slower and makes you work too hard (my experience at 55k - probably better at 58k). Moving my bindings back from stock (I think I went back about 1/4 inch) really freed the ski up and sped it up, too. Much more speed, much less work, and still get all the angle I need (and the tip stays down). I love my A1, although I also really felt good on the Strada when I tried one last season. I think they are both great skis. I have not tried an A2, yet, but would like to compare all three skis.

I also think you can ski the A1 in a larger size and benefit from the increased speed while still having great decel and turn. I'm 195 lbs on a 67.5 and think I would do better on the 68.75.

• Baller
I ski the same size A1 that richarddoane was on and I weigh 235. It was a huge improvement for me over the 2005 Monza I had. Between the ski and some coaching I have picked up at least a full pass. Not saying I wouldn't have picked up the same on a Strada I just haven't tried one.

• Baller
A strada has a bit of a looser feeling tip. An A1 has a tip that's a lot more stuck into the water to engage it's rocker. I think those are the two fundamental differences that a skier will key on. For me, I wasn't comfortable with the looser tip of the Strada and had to run a really long fin to get the ski feel I wanted. But a LOT of people like that aspect of the strada design.

• Baller
ShaneH - that is exactly what the Strada felt like to me, too. Not a bad thing for the most part, just a different feel. The Strada was very easy to ski, but the looseness in the tip sometimes turned into too much tip rise, which was mostly my fault or something that could be tuned out with binding and fin position. Or probably 4 or 5 ventral fins in various locations and orientations would help. Maybe 6.