Wanting to hear Scot Chipman’s report of the Nano mid over his 9900 mid.

Bud Man

• Baller
Mike Munn has never been speechless about anything. I had to laugh when I heard that. I'm interested in driving Mike this year. He used to be one of the hardest people to drive you can imagine. He would hammer 2/4 so hard you would be amazed that he skied out of it. And you better be ready. He was known for calling out to the driver "You ever driven a boat before, Mate?" LMAO. When he got on the Mid last year, I pulled him into 41 in a tournament and the 39 felt like it was a 32 off from the driver's seat. So I would like to see how he feels this year on the Nano.

• Baller
Shane, skied with Munn at TerraMare this morn and he is smoother than a baby's butt. He no longer cranks that 2-4 and credits a ton of it to the Nano. He is swearing by it and can't get over how it performs compared to the (9900?) mid which he loves. Same binders, fin, setup, everything the same except on a Nano. He sounded just like his phone conversation on the Goode website.

• Baller

A bit off topic: I think Goode has a killer this year with the Nano and the Fire. The Nano is the ski everybody is talking about, and the Fire is a high end ski from Goode with inserts, multiple color choices and warranty for less than a grand. They will have a great year. Not a Goode skier, and unlikely to be (unless they sell the Nano with inserts...), but need to reckon that they have done a killer marketing campaign, and expanded their product line somewhat listening to their potential customers.

Somewhat, because it will be hard to convince me that the Nano cannot get factory installed inserts for a technical reason.

"Carbon NANOTubes (pictured to the right) are no bigger than 1 billionth of an inch and help make a lighter, stronger and faster water ski."

After this description, if anything, the Nano should be more suitable for inserts than the 9960, not less.

What are the boot settings for the 65" Nano Mid? Are they the same as the 9900 Mid? Dave Miller is running his front boot at 28-3/4" and Chad Scott is running his at 29-1/4".

@ral. The reason I was given (from Goode) for the lack of inserts in the Nano was the core material, not the carbon.

• Baller
How is Mike? I used to ski with him at Banana Bend when he had the ski school. Great guy and a helluva skier. I've been an observer in the boat where he missed a pass, looked back at the boat path, and had some choice words for the driver. I was nervous as hell the first time I drove him, luckily he was only skiing '32 and '35 that day. Still had some tips for me.

• Administrators

Scot,

As far as the tip being down - is that the Ventral Wing or the ski?

There are 3 was to think about this. Random ski with Ventral, Nano without Ventral and then the combination of the Nano with Ventral.

This is pure conjecture, but my thoughts on the inserts and the fin blocks are this. Goode skis are built with a pre-preg carbon that when cured does not allow for a good bond to the core material, this is why they tend to break at the bindings. There is a lot of force being applied at the binding locations, and adding inserts only increases those loads, high loading in the vertical are not something that is experienced at the fin block, and this is what allows him to attach using standard procedures.

• Baller
Scott, can you or anyone else comment on the difference between the mid and regular 9900? Is it true that the mid and wide turn better than the regular? I am on a regular 9900 but the mid seems to be the top seller this year. Curious about what the differences are.

• Baller

Boody,

Having owned all three, I will definitely confirm the Mid and WR will out-turn the Reg. The WR worked well for me behind PP, and the Mid. works best for me with Zero-off. Currently waiting on the Mid. Nano. Will have a 66" Mid Right 228 Amp for sale after that.......ED

• Baller

Boody,

Your about the same weight as Chet, so the 65" Mid. should work great.

I know your a serious skier, and I don't believe you would be happy with anything less than the Nano. I know the factory skiers hype the ski but OB gave some good evaluations here on BOS. He's a very honest person and his reviews were enough for me to order one. He was spot on on his recommendation on the ventral wing also. I will be glad to share my unbiased opinions once mine arrives.

Ski Well, ED

• Baller
Thanks Ed! You are probably right about me and the Nano. Chipman's comments on the 63 caused me to pause but OB did do a great eval on the ski. So, I'm just really anxious to hear more input from folks like yourself. But, I think I've heard enough, talking to wife about it tonight and she gave me the thumbs up. Not that I need her approval, I totally wear the pants in the family.

• Baller
Always a good call running it by the wife. I really want to try one. Not enough $ right now. Just bought a G10 plate from Teammalibu so I am ready if Horton decides to let me try his.