Bindings Straight or Canted

Nick Sullivan

So, one of the guys that I ski with saw my boots on my Strada. I had the Front right boot canted outward and the back boot straight. He made the comment that this is kind of ass backwards. Okay, I trust him and he is a kick ass skier so I changed it. The Front Boot is lined up on my sequence plate with the arrow on my boot lining up with the line on the plate. The back boot (left foot) is canted with the toes all the way out to the left.

Got up and headed towards the gate. The ski felt like it was on rails and biting in the water alot harder, so hard I am having a hard time adjusting to it. I must have fallen 10 times in that set. This got me wondering what other people are doing for their boot position.

• Baller
If you didn't cant your rubber bindings, you should start with your hard shells straight. Then after a few sets, decide if you need to cant the rear to help the offside turn a bit (actually takes a bit of the bite out of the offside turn). The front effects the onside more than the offside and again, canting towards the little toe takes some of the bite out of the turn. I had my rear RS1 canted all the way and the front canted about 1/8th inch. I now have the front straight and the rear all the way (to toe side). At some point, I'm going to try my rear straight again as well. The only reason I canted the rear in the first place is that I had my rubber boot canted and I could not run a pass with the hard shells straight. Now that I'm used to them (4 years worth), I am beginning to experiment again. I think the straighter you have them, the better your knee alignment.

• Baller
If you are rff which way do you rotate the rear binding? The direction that places your big toe closer to the edge of the ski or the direction which places your little toe closer to the edge of the ski?

I had a good friend and shortline skier talk me into doing this a little differently than mentioned above. I had been riding with my rear boot pivoted as described above, i.e., RFF skier with rear boot pivoted with the heel to the right, toes to the left (natural stance). While he agreed with me that that seems like it would be a comfortable way to ride, he suggested that I pivot the boot the other way. This was perplexing to me and I pressed him on the reasoning.

He convinced me by suggesting I stand with both feet in a straight stance. Then, he said, pivot the rear foot so that it is opposite of what you consider the natural stance. What happens? Answer: Your rear knee pushes into your front knee. Doing it the natural way is basically bow-legged.

I tried it and he was right. Now this feels totally awkward on dry land. But I have been riding my ski like this for several years on the water now and it feels great.

I'm not breaking any records (I wasn't before). But my skiing has improved and my stance is much better.

• Baller_
Similar to what Sully has per his question. What ever works best is the way to go. Any foot rotation will add to one side and potentially detract from the other so it is a balancing act and another tool to dial in your skiing.

We use a lot of words interchangeably, and I think we all know the point of the thread, so this is probably unimportant here, but could be misunderstood elsewhere. The Radar plate has slots to allow for rotating your boot. Cant as I understand is to raise one side of your boot. (like with shims)

I first experienced rotating my rear foot outward on an EP (I think) a very long time ago and it seems like I remember feeling a very fast turn out of my off side. My RS-1 rear boot is rotated out some but not all the way. Mentally, I think I want to keep my front boot straight knowing that it represents the direction of the ski. That said, I think we have a way of adapting to all sorts of things.

I was told a while back that that rotating the front binding out unloads/frees up the hips? Rotating the rear opens one hip but doesn't necessarily square both over the ski. On writer talked about taking the "bite" out of the turns. I think that's right- If your feet 'know' what angles to take and you rotate them outward- wont the ski then take a little less angle from the ball at first?

I think I'm going to experiment a little bit tomorrow. East TX has me wondering. Every photo I see of a pro their knees are locked together. I've had a bad habbit sometimes of spreading my knees apart. Maybe this will help with that.

If not, my second set I'm going straight on both boots.

@Sully,

There are more ways to stand than one. I do not try to stand this way, but look at these three record holders’ knees.

I tried to attach the three pictures yesterday and today but could not.

Matt said he would post them. Thank you Matt.

• Baller

I'm RFF. I ran the front foot straight and twisted the rear foot clockwise a fair amount (just testing so I didn't measure - sorry). I liked the way it skied. Until something weird popped on my old arthritic hip. Nothing major and I could trick fine. But every time it got better and I would slalom at full intensity, the pain would flare up. So I rotated the rear binding all the way back to the conventional direction (counterclockwise), worked harder on my style and quit hurting my hip.

Another interesting experiment I did was to displace the bingings to one side of the ski. No angle but the front binding was offset 5mm to the left to help the offside (1, 3, 5) turn. That worked well to improve that ski's offside.

The ski I'm on now is nicely balanced with centered straight bindings but side to side binding placement is just one more tuning variable to mess with all summer. Or would I rather add another wing or two?

Eric

Okay, the rain finally cleared out long enough to get few sets in. Set the bindings up so that they were dead straight. Could't seem to make a consistant pass. I was allways out of good body position. Never could stayed centered over my ski. Skied like crap basically.

Second set, put my tows out by about a hair less than a 1/4 inch. Finally started to get my stuff together. Felt like I was in much better body position behind the boat. Was earlier into the balls and felt much more in control of what I was doing. I'm going to stick with this for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments BOS. I apprecaite it.