Ski Size

Skihack

• Supporting Member

I was on a ski that was too big for almost a season, and I made the mistake of assuming the person who had recommended it was correct. In reality it felt too big from day one. If your ski feels too big, it is :).

To try to be a little more specific, you may find a few symptoms:

- Behind the boat feels really good, but you're just not staying early as you go down the course.

- Turns feel smooth, but by the time you are really into the pull, you feel late.

- Your opening passes seems incredibly easy but you can't translate it to your harder ones.

To make a ski feel shorter it sometimes works to push the fin toward the tip or to move your bindings back. But personally I didn't have any luck with that. The instant I got back on a shorter ski, everything felt good again.

• Supporting Member

Curious why that would matter, but I'm happy to answer:

Ski was a Fischer Yellow 68", whereas I "normally" ski a 66" (165 amp) Goode.

I run 34/-35 semi-routinely (at mid-season) and have run -38 a handful of times, but only in practice. I'd describe my style as finesse (aka weakass).

I am 6'2" and 170-175lbs.

• Baller

gives some perspective, small to you isn't small to some other dude.

I'm shorter and about 10lbs heavier fwiw

I would think you could ride my 67.5" A1, but I bet you'd like a 66.25 better. I ask really because I wonder if maybe I should even be on a 66.25 sometimes...