Inversion Tables

• Baller

Looking for some feedback on the subject from those of you who have them or know someone who does. What is a good brand, what do they go for price wise, did you buy yours new or used, where is the best place to buy, what's a fair price for a good condition used one etc. Finding a few on Craigs List for $100 but don't know anything about them. Any input appreciated.

Ed

• Baller_
I have one I bought from Sams Club years ago (inversion table). It has saved me more times than I can count. As soon as I feel that lower back pain, on the rack I go. It is important to understand that this is a decompression device and should be used accordingly. Going past 45 degrees (like gravity boots) is a mistake unless you are using it to exercise. Decompression of the vertebra should be done slow, gradual and deliberate. I start at 15 degrees for 5mn, then 30 for 5 then 45 for 5 or more. You need to feel the stretch slow and gradual. To go for 45 or more right off the bat can do more bad than good (unless you are in top physical condition). Most of the tables are the same. It does take up some room but worth it. There is also an inversion chair. Same concept only your in a seated position as you go back and upside down. I think this devise may even be better as it stretches you back and not your ankles, knees, and hips (which may not need stretching) as the inversion table does. Price varies a great deal. I used mine yesterday.

• Baller
Got mine at Costco. There is a big range in price, i paid about $200. I'd stay away from the cheapest models as they arent as comfortable on the ankles. Agree with what Wish said, dont go past 45 deg. Its helped me keep my back feeling good during the summer.

• Baller
Have had one for years after blowing out the L5 disc , Sam's Cub as well. Can't use it too much as it will start to stretch other areas,knees, ankles as well . I've got a weaker right knee and will feel it if I use it too often. Your back and body will tell you what's good or too much. I go full inverted for 3 to 4 minutes max , at about 3minutes your back will relax enough to decompress so I that's all I need ,maybe a couple of times a week. Have to be smart if injured; don't use it too soon after an injury or you may hurt more. Most times though it can help get back or stay on the water if you use it smart. Work up to full inversion over time and it can help.I believe Roger Teeter from EP Waterski fame has an infomercial on his brand of inversion table, expensive but good quality. Even the less expensive ones at the sports stores are okay , some can be found used as well for cheap. Research all you can about your back if you are prone to injury as it can be traumatic but you will find backs ( even bad ones ) are pretty durable and won't come apart if you manage them well. And as they say check with your doctor so you don't blow out a blood vessel going full inverted as well ! They're not for everybody but I love mine, keeps you young !

• Baller

I have one and use it twice a day for two to three minutes each time, important to move around slightly,do not just hang there, you know after skiing sometimes your back is really tight, it,s great when you feel that tension release and your back relax, I was having a problem with a really uncomfortable ache on the right hand side close to the spine where the big muscle around the bottom of your shoulder blade runs down your back and attaches, after a few days on the table upside down strectching to the left it released. Boy I thought I had gone to Heaven ! Feels great now, even if you know someone, who is really good with thier elbows, I do not think they could have achieved the same result, it is a personal thing and you do have to be senseble and careful when you start using it, short durations.

Inversion Table Score 10/10

Another believer here. Used to visit chiropractor 2-3 times a month during ski season. I only went twice all last year.

As MS said, you don't need to the $400 one. Just get one that is sturdy and comfy on ankles. You're not on it more than 1-2 minutes anyway.

• Baller

Thanks all for the input, extremely helpful. FWIW I just pulled the trigger on this one - http://www.hsn.com/infomercial/teeter-hang-ups-ep-850-inversion-table-with-traction-handles-and-ergo-embrace-ankle-system_p-6293535_xp.aspx

Dug around on the Net a bunch, this was the best price I found on a Teeter inversion table. Probably more money than I really had to spend for one but I didn't want to buy a junker either. The price for the EP850 on HSN.com was the same as for the EP550 (the entry level model) anywhere else plus they have a $25 instant rebate, so $275 shipping included for the whole shebang was the best price I was able to find on a Teeter brand. Difference between the two is the ankle support setup, the one on the 850 looks way better than anything else I looked at. If you follow the link you can mouse over the photo and zoom in on the features. And all for the price of a half-dozen chiro visits...

Ed

• Baller

I got a like new Teeter EP-550 on Craiglist for $150. CL is the best way to go. Teeter is great for the back.

My in-laws wanted one delivered to their house and bought a refurbished one from http://www.teeter-inversion.com/index.asp . They called a sales rep who offered a refurbished one from their Home Shopping Network inventory. These are identical to the EP-550 but with a different model number (EP-850 or close to that). They bought a refurbished model at a good discount and it was cheaper than what was available on eBay or Amazon.

• Baller

That's the info I was hoping to get before I jumped JayG, a refurb would have been fine. Nothing of interest on local Craigs List or other used stuff portals, thought it was worth the price and didn't want a cheapie so I jumped. You can always dig deeper...

Teeter's web site does have a refurbed EP550 for $21 less than I paid for the EP850 but doesn't have the options the 850 has. They also have two "lower" models for less, one for $214 and one for $199, all sales FINAL (no warranty). I'm happy with the deal I got.

• Baller

Thank you for the suggestions Bruce, I know you know of what you speak. I had no idea there were so many different brands/models of these things available until I started digging. If I'd had more time to compare I might have been able to find one similar to what I bought for less, kind of needed to get one on the way. I'm all ears if you have other input/suggestions.

Thanks, Ed

An crazysales inversion table may help relieve general lower back pain by giving full-spine traction, in line with articles over the Natural Arthritis Relief website. It reverses the gravity which includes compressed the spine, which will have caused pinched nerves. Hanging upside-down is just like spinal traction using the body to stretch the spine, lowering the pressure on your discs.

An inversion table may help relieve general lower back pain by giving full-spine traction, in line with articles over the Natural Arthritis Relief website. It reverses the gravity which includes compressed the spine, which will have caused pinched nerves. Hanging upside-down is just like spinal traction using the body to stretch the spine, lowering the pressure on your discs.

• Baller
Guess I should give it a go. My wife likes hers. Weird thing is my back most often hurts from doing chores, bending, lifting, etc. But, after skiing usually feel rejuvinated. So, sounds like ski more and moderate use of the inversion table.