Hard Shell Bindings - Suggestions?

Dougger

In the summer of '09 I had a hard fall on my HO Monza with rubber boots and broke / dislocated my heel bone coming out of the bindings. It is still not right. I want to ski again but am considering hard shells (wish I had a couple years ago). I looked at the new HO EXO's, Goode powershells, & FM's online. Last year I heard rumors of problems with the EXO's. I have also seen the Fogmans and live in upstate NY and can drive to where Terrence (the Fogman guy) has his shop to get his setup. They all seem to be expensive. So, which is the better, safer, more comfortable option? I'd like to put them on the Monza. I'm 5'11", ~210#, have a 68" Monza (~2006), and ski at 34mph. I'd be open to a new ski / binding setup but I really don't want to spend $1K plus on a ski I only use 12 weeks out of the year.

Probably not many people with 1st hand experience with all of these but give me what you got.

Thanks!

Doug

• Baller

My suggestion? Stay away from hardshell bindings. Too many horror stories about broken ankles, too many horror stories about premature release (due to velcro issues) or not releasing when they should, too much constant and ongoing maintainance to deal with etc. If you like constantly screwing with your ski hardshells are probably the way to go. If not... I'm sure I've now probably pissed off every single hardshell user on this board. Just my personal opinion, experiences vary.

Having said all of that, after doing the due dilligence I recently bought a set of Strada bindings. Coming off 25+ years in rubber bindings and knowing of all of the horror stories about hardshells it was a big jump for me. The Strada's aren't really hardshells but are a somewhat similar concept (I guess...). I was surprised at how quickly I took to them and how much better they feel on my feet, both sitting between passes and while skiing. Probably a good balance point somewhere between rubber and hardshell IMO. Plenty of Strada users here who can give you way more detail on them than I can. Definitely a step up from rubber bindings without all the issues of true hardshells. I've used D3 Leverage bindings for the past 6 years, loved them, still do, still have them on my back up ski and my 30 mph wide ride ski. The Strada's are a definite step up.

Ed

• Baller

I would go with the powershells.

- They release in any direction

- Many pros/ regular skiers are on them

- They have the spring in the heal

- If you do release, you stay in them together which means less chance of injury

Dougger. Consider a reflex front & your choice of rear. Either toe plate, (or in my case), Radar Vector Boot. For me, this combo has always released when needed. If you dont want too stiff, ie hardshell, go with double vectors, comfy, performance and Safe, imho. I tried Strada, it felt a bit sloppy, and when I pulled the laces just a little tighter, it felt like it would not release. That said, theres no perfect set up, so you choose and good luck.

I had the FM's a few years ago and when they were right I loved them. However as someone said they require a lot of maintenance and I tend to run out and ski real quick. Had a few tournaments get screwed up due to the setup needing tuning etc. Have to say I loved the control and the release was GREAT when everything was right. However I have since gone to RS1's (now Strada) and they are a great mixture. Not as responsive as a full hardshell, however not as maintenance either. If you have time and like to tinker with your ski then FM's are a great choice. I don't want to steer you away from them however as many/most hard shells you have to keep more of an eye on them and check things (spacing, etc) more often. I just didn't have the time anymore with 3 Kids running me ragged!

• Baller

I agree with londonskier. I have been on a Reflex front and a rear toe plate for the past few seasons. I honestly don't think there is a safer set up. The Reflex has released every time I thought it should and have never had a problem with pre-release. I have seen too many people get hurt when the velcro is not set up just right. And it tends to always happen off the second wake... a very nasty fall.

Good Luck!

Paul

• Baller
I love my Powershells, but it honestly took me 30 sets before I liked em. And ten of those were busting my a$$ repeatedly getting the velcro right. I had RS1 and STrada's prior to the PS's. It was really a pretty tough transition from those. For me that is. I wouldn't go back now, though. I could never get the liners to last in the RS1 and Strada. No one else seemed to have that issue, but for whatever reason I managed to tear three sets of liners over the course of 16 months on the RS1/Stradas.

• Baller
Well, there you go looks like the choice is clear. Lol. Seriously though, I've had several different hard-shells over the years and just about everyone's comments are spot on. Not an easy decision. FM e series should be considered too, very safe and comfy.

• Baller
I just changed over to the reflex and absolutley love them, I am similar in size to yourself and am Canada so I also have a short season. For the best advice I would call Seth at h20proshop.com, they can tell you all the ups and downs of each system, and they carry pretty much all of them. Awesome set of guys there, good luck

Dougger, I fractured my ankle on HO Animals, went to Wileys after ankle healed for the rest of the season, this year went to Strada boots and ski. They come off when needed, I like them a lot. Not much transition from rubber, most people call them a hybrid. Just tighten the bottom cord and snug the top.

• Baller

Scot, an advantage of the Radar boots is the light weight. Putting them on G10 plus interlock adds quite a bit of weight. You spend a lot of money on a light ski - shouldn't you minimize binding weight as well?

Powershells are reasonably light for the release and all but Radars (tensioned to spec) on a drilled out plate are as light as anything that works.

Unless you are going with Gatorade lids...

Eric