End course cameras, what do you use?

KB

I would like to set up an end course camera at my lake. What are you guys using? Will Bush was talking about an SLR lens + "C" mount adapter + simple digital camera all housed in a weather proof body. I may do that, but wondering if anyone had success with other things? I wondered if I could take my Sony digital camcorder, bolt on their 1.7x lens and see if that gets enough zoom. Anyone tried that?

Also, I would be ok with a set up that is used periodically, not necessarily left out 365 days/yr. Just tournaments and when I wanted to check on my driving

KB

• Baller
KB, Know nothing of what you want but the best tecnical control (TC) man in the nation is right here in Houston. Elgin has been doing the TC thing around the world for decades and if you want, drop me an email and I'll give you his phone #. He is also the nicest guy West of the Mississippi and he is a treasure to have here in the SCR. khoover@wt.net

• Baller

Do it once, do it right.

Get a decent CCTV camera - $79

http://www.cctvgadgets.com/Full_Body_COLOR_Cameras-Xavee_B540D_1_3_SONY_CCD_540TVL.html

You need a big lens to get the required zoom - $79

http://www.cctvgadgets.com/1_3_VARIFOCAL_AUTO_IRIS-5_120mm_DC_Auto_Iris_CCTV_Lens.html

Stick it in a good housing - $59

http://www.cctvgadgets.com/MOUNTS_AND_BRACKETS-New_Design_Housing_Side_Opening_Cover_with_Bracket.html

And never touch it again!

Not a salesrep for cctvgadgets but have used their gear and it does what it says on the tin

• Baller

That sounds like a great price on that lens -- you could even back that out far enough for video jump or gate video.

You can get similar housings a bit cheaper, but that one is nice -- I could get my fat fingers in there a lot easier.

Thanks Splasheye. I was under the impression 120mm wasn't enough, and focal length needed to be closer to 300mm? Do you run the same set up as recommended above and it works well for end course?

KB

• Baller

I think there is a difference between using SLR camera lenses and the CCTV lenses. I've got a question into Dave Clark on the multiplier that is correct on that issue. For most lakes I'm using a C-Mount adapter, a doubler and a 80-200mm SLR lens. If the lake is 2300 or 2400 ft long the 300mm without a doubler is not quite enough.

Thats exactly what Will has. cctv camera + doubler + 205mm lens. He has it zoomed about 1/2 so effective ~300mm. This is the set up used for Nates 41 pass posted here, and is enough zoom for Wilber. I am considering a 300mm lens for $50 used to avoid one piece in the doubler.