ruptured eardrum

travnews

I ruptured my eardrum Friday evening skiing, in a out the front accross the wakes crash. Where can I purchase a good headband? I am also thinking about putting in moldable "swimmers" ear plug with a head band, any advice on earplugs. I am going to try to get into an ENT doc tomorrow. I am sure he will say stay out of the water, but there are ways around that. Any idea how long this will take to heal?

• Baller
It has been a long time since I did mine. Back then I had a neoprene head band from Ski Warm for cold weather skiing. I did one of the wax ear plugs and wore it under the headband. This worked fine, but it took a while to get used to not hearing all the wind/boat noise!

Swimmers caps do work the best. I have done my right 3 times and left 1 time. It will take 2-3 weeks to heal up. You will need some antis to make sure it does not get infected so go see the doc. For the time spent healing up, dont get out of control and ski to stay in shape. Keep it dry. It will drain for a few days while you are sleeping.

swimmers caps that is a good idea. Two to three weeks sounds pretty good, I thought it was going to be a few months. I will be off the ski for at least a week or so anyway. I also bruised or cracked a rib, I think. It is really tender. I am hoping it was just a muscle, but I think it is one of the lower ribs. I am pretty sore. No pain no gain I guess, I have never really liked that saying. Thanks for all the info.

I have had ear problems all my life. When I skied all the time in college, I used molded ear plugs from ENT. The best over the counter ear plug is silly putty. No Joke. That stuff works awesome.

If someone can recommend a good head band I will buy one. If so, I will be rolling napoleon dynamite style.

• Baller
If your doctor says, stay out of the water, stay out! I am prone to ear infections. I wear ear plugs when I ski. I have been using Mack's brand ear plugs. I buy the package that has more than two pair. I recommend taking one plug, and splitting it into two pieces, then combine each half with another plug so the plugs you put in your ears are 1 1/2 times the regular size. Cover the outside of your ear to seal it, but do put force any of it into the ear canal. Keep extras handy. I do lose them occasionally, especially when barefooting..

• Baller
+1 on proplugs. I've done this many times and these work to prevent it. Seems to get less painful after you do it a dozen times... Make sure you get the ones with the leash, I had it sewn to my vest at one point.

My wife and I don’t use the leash that comes with the ProPlugs we’ve never lost one or had them come out in a fall. Just make sure you get the right size and you’ll never know they’re there. If you choose to use the leash it’s plenty long enough and will do the job.