Handles

kykn12

What slalom handles are people using? I'm looking for something with a little smaller diameter (.94 or so) and see there are several options. Looking at Masterline, Proline Prophecy, Radar Strada, etc. Are there specific features you would direct me toward? All comments are appreciated!

• Baller
Ditto with In Tow. I was going through a handle a season with Masterline. Had Brenda make me one last season, and it looked brand new after a full year of hard skiing. You can reach her at "brenda at jlbmfg.com"

• Supporting Member

Send Brenda an email and go back and forth with your questions. She'll hook you up!

I must admit it was kinda sweet when Brenda was a secret. These days she has a ton of business because she keeps making the same mistake of doing a great job. Damn her!

• Baller
Brenda will build it exactly how you want it. As an example I order a ARS 13" that is 1.0 Diameter, Plastic end caps, plus 1 foot plastic shielding on the rope, since the Mid-Ride tends to rub the rope coming out of the water. As stated before, they last forever. She even gives you a choice of rope color.

• Baller
I have two Straight Line Shadow handles. I am disappointed. First of all they are made in China. The fibers in the rope on both my handles are starting to fade and fray already. I have not had them a full year yet. I ski in PA so they only get used for six months. They also get put away in the garage immediately after I am done slalom skiing for the day. Straight Line has lost me as a customer because they are made in China, and their quality is not what it used to be. Masterline trick ropes and handles from now on. I am pleased with the Performance Pure ropes so far..

I've had both revisions that have been available through Thomas Wayne. The Arm-guard on my Masterline Custom is one of the older style full triangle panels. I think this is its 4th season now. My dad's hand now has one of the new, segmented panel. It's definitely much nicer, especially on his bigger 13" ARS handle.

I've slapped at mine a couple of times, definitely keeps your hand out.

• Baller_

Their are a couple of manufactures that I know of, Arm guard (the original) and Fluid

Motion. I bought a number of the Fluid Motion units as we also buy other products from them. I have been utiliazing the FM handle inserts since Aug last year and have hit the insert with my hand going down and even once with my ski. To me utilizing the Insert in my handle gives me a bit more piece of mind that my head will not go thru the handle and it greatly reduces the chance my arms and extremity's go into the handle. I had no trouble at all with adapting to the device on my handle.

• Baller
Trav, By "segmented" I think HO410 refers to the latest version of the "arm-guard" that has a hinge point in it for ease of swapping handles on the rope. If you are one of the many that uses In-Tow handles (from Brenda) you also can have her make the handle loop larger...which also helps. I don't think there is a website, but if you email twcues @ gci .net, then Thomas Wayne will email you the lowdown including ordering instructions. I have never used one, so can not comment on it.

That's the one. We had an exchange about segmenting the panel like that. The initial plan for that hinge was to make it easier on boat crews, according to TW it turned out the hinge helps the handle deflect hands even better. All I really know is that it was a pretty solid jump forward in design and they kept the pricing the same.

Just a note on my experience as a customer. TW took a day longer (than he wanted, not a day longer than I expected) to get my order out. He sent it out with overnight at his expense. I also needed a second set of the ty-wraps that he included in the kit. I expected him to mail a standard letter envelope. No, he sent another overnight package. Up to the point that I ordered that segmented arm-guard for my dads handle, I think he'd spend more shipping arm-guards to me than I had spent on arm-guards.

• Baller

I have used TW's ArmGuard on mine and my daughters handles since he first introduced them. His is the best design and should be a standard piece of equipment for all of us in the sport. Don't leave home without it.

I use the US Gear bent handle and Randy puts larger loops in his bridles as a stanDardanelles offering.