Battling for the Finals - how many skiers for how many places?

• Baller

With all the talk going on this discussion board about who they believe will win the respective titles, the fact that they have to advance out of the elimination round is almost forgotten. Based on that, here's an interesting question to ponder:

How many skiers do you think will be tied for a last place(s) to get in the finals after regulation and how many places will there be left?

There are 12 spots in the finals each for men and women - what say you?

Tony Lightfoot

• Administrators

Or... Where will the pile up be? In good conditions it generally is between 5 @ 39 and 2 @ 41 for the guys

Crap water.... Could be more interesting

• Baller_
This is what I don't understand. Why would The Worlds take place on a body of water that has shity conditions. Any other sport at the top of it's competitive game would not be played on/in sub par venues..... World Cup bad grass...... Stanley Cup crappy ice..... French open poor clay..... This just would not happen.

• Baller_
yes to "level" playing field but that's like saying the US Open (golf) will be played this year on a course that hasn't seen a lawn mower in weeks. Level playing field for all competitors but wouldn't that be embarrassing for the sport as a whole. Sure lots of local interest but who wants to see pro golfers duffing the ball because the grass is too long. No chance of spectacular shots or course records for the locals to watch and be excited about.

• Baller

I think history will repeat itself with 8 skiers on the bubble scoring 3 @ 10.75 meters. Just like 2009. Also in 2009, 3 skiers made it to 10.25 in the preliminary round.

@wish The Stanley Cup was played on crappy ice when Tampa was in the finals. Florida had crappy ice when they made it to the finals as well.

• Baller

In recent times The World Championships hasn't exactly had a plethora of venues wishing to stage the event. It's a huge undertaking for anyone concerned, with logistical and organizational headaches aplenty. When they do eventually have something close to their ducks in a row, they then realize that getting the level of media coverage from television that an event of this stature warrants is pretty much a non-starter if they want to stay within budget.

Russia was the only one to submit a bid for this year's edition, so they got it. End of story

• Baller
Slightly off-topic here...but what makes hockey ice crappy? Not that I question it, it's just that now I'm curious. By the way, if any place is going to have crappy ice, I expect it to be Florida!

• Baller
The other issue that is a problem for ice is multi purpose stadiums. Concert and Basketball surfaces cover ice sheets. When one of those events happens prior to a game, it can be an issue as well. Especially in the playoffs when the weather is warmer in most American cities.

• Baller

Back to Golf. All the Major championships are played at much harder courses/conditions. Every US Open the talk is about how high the rough is, how difficult the hole locations are and how fast the greens are. The scores are typically higher and it becomes a true test.

It is too bad Waterskiing doesn't get the exposure that it should.