Radar Strada boot lace hardware

Fine409

• Baller

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with the Radar Strada boot lace hardware? I've had my ski w/ these boots for about a month now, and both of the top lace, plastic pieces have popped off. I've been very careful with them, but they still have come off. Am I the only one with this issue, or has anyone else had this happen to them? Any other ideas/substitutes for the hardware they come with?

My fear is that the two laces that are bonded together will break apart and I'll end up losing the tightening piece....

Thanks in advance!

• Baller

I've had both top lace plastics come off on mine (had the same issue with that on D3 boots as well FWIW), plus the little Damn Thing that tensions the lower lace on the rear boot broke so I can't tension the lower part of the rear at all. Deal that sticks up from the center of the Damn Thing just pulled out. They say to run them loose, so I am... Hasn't affected performance to date so not a big issue but I would like to replace the Damn Thing tensioner on the rear boot some day. Need to contact Radar to get one I guess. I tied a knot in the cord so not a big issue there other than just looks.

Ed

My strada bindings lower lace tensioner has come apart several times as I'm taking them off. The little catch piece will come out if pulled to hard. Seems as if they should throw an extra one in with each binding, since its going to get lost or break sometime. Let us know what you find for spair parts.

• Baller
Or, you can call 425 369 6851 and ask for Ryan Hughes and he'll stick some in the mail for you. By the way, if the "tensioners" are pulled on they will come out. We're now tying a knot in the stretchy cord to pull on so people don't pull on the plastic parts. You can pull on the sliders but don't pull on the "tensioner" for the bottom lace or the piece that captures the two ends of the stretchy lace.

• Baller

Mine came off after just a few sets. I just ski without them. The tightening “stuff” got lost as well but I replaced them with a set from an old wind coat. It works just as well since I leave the laces pretty loose.

Tsixam

• Baller

Thanks for the post tsixam, great idea. That's one of those "why didn't I think of that" deals. Ought to work just fine, should have thought of that myself.

I did call the number ER posted (thanks Eddie, you rock as usual) and Heather has me hooked up. Good to go.

Ed

• Baller

I picked up some abused RS1s. The bottom hard lace hardware was broken. I replaced the bottom lace with a hardshell clip. Worked great plus I could unclip between passes to relax my feet.

Kirk's Strada boot hard lace hardware broke. I found Zippy after a couple of beers and he cannibalized his boot so Kirk could have his boot right for his Regional run. The repair was really easy, even after all those beers. Thanks Richard. Pick up a couple of spares from Radar and maintain your boot as needed.

Tying off the top elastic lace is not a bad idea. Once you have figured out the tension you like, the knot will give you that consistently. Eventually bungee will change so occasional retying will be needed.

Radar's boots do need maintenence but far less than any other hardshell I've seen. Enjoy and do the minor repairs.

Eric

This happen to me while on a ski trip to Costa Rica. I called Radar when I got back and they shipped replacement parts right away. After that i never skied without my bag o' replacement parts. Now I have a goode set up i like much better!

• Baller

Hey EZ Ed,

I dropped Ryan an email, and got a few of the "tabs" for the lower bungee locks sent to me. There are a lot of things in this world to complain about....Radar Customer Service is NOT one of them. No big deal, but the "tabs" I got were white...wonder if it is a sign of things to come?

• Baller

EZ Ed,

They were nice enough to send me an extra...one of which is now in an envelope in my mailbox, and will be heading to you in the sunflower state tomorrow. When you get it, you will see that there is a groove/tab on it...such that there is a "top" and "bottom" to it....ahhh, you'll figure it out.

Cheers.

• Baller
I'm not skiing them anymore as noted in another post. It wasn't the reason to switch back to leverage completely, but my Strada's would pop open mid-pass at times. The elastic top straps would just come loose, despite being a guy who runs an intentionally snug fit. This issue and the fact that I generally skied like dung on them necessitated the switch back to leverage bindings.