Best way to transport ski?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I have a 2-piece hard case that I bought way back before 9/11. The problem now is that I have to rely on the TSA guys to put it back together properly after opening and inspecting it. They often seem to do this quite poorly, and in one case it arrived without anything holding it together at all.

For the short term, I'm going to get a clip (like a carabiner) that should be easier than the little bolt I've been using.

But I wonder if folks have found a better way to transport a slalom ski in this era where bags have to be opened by TSA.

• Baller
Than, Ray has the same case and he has traveled with it multiple times and hasn't had any problems. If you need I have a soft sided case that was designed for a snowboard that I use to travel with my slalom ski. That case has a hard plastic bottom with wheels. Using that case combined with a fin protector and a ski bag has protected my ski so far.

• Supporting Member

Horton, why transport a ski? You could just get a new ski when you arrive at the tournament. Should feel just like practice then!

It was a bolt & wingnut setup that didn't get put back on one time. I'll go grab one of those TSA locks ASAP. Thanks!

• Baller
Than, Looks like many good and cheap options for those "TSA locks" on Amazon as well. I like the ones that uses combo (so you don't have to worry about carrying or losing a key). Also has an alert indicator to show whether or not security opened it up.

• Administrators
@Than Bogan you may have a point. I think it would be fun it we all skied on a random ski at every event. Can't be worse then the ZO surprise.

• Supporting Member
Mine is indeed searched quite frequently, but it sounds like some others' almost never are. I'd blame it on leaving from Boston (which just happens to be where most of the 9/11 terrorists departed from), but some in my club seem to never have their ski searched. Shrug.

• Baller

Just got back from Rini's in Orlando last week. I use a soft Masterline travel bag. I put my yogo mat under the ski inside the case and wrap it around the ski (which is in its ski bag), cinch it in with the built in cinchs. Stuff my life jacket, rope, knee brace etc inside the case for added padding on top. Been doing this for years, never a problem. Upside of the yoga mat is besides the additional padding I have something to put on the motel room floor to stretch on. Had TSA notes inside the bag both directions so they definitely looked in it.

Ed